Dealing with variability in performance

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

rmel82
Getting settled in

Dealing with variability in performance

Post by rmel82 »

Hi I've been diagnosed with a few neurodevelopmental disorders (also high autistic trait and mild dyslexia) dyspraxia among them also diagnosed with anxiety (I've had panic attacks) and depression (also somatic symptoms).

I have noticed that I have days when I am very good and days when I can barely string a sentence together. When I was doing my undergraduate course at university I used to have days where I could trot out a 1000 word piece, research and all in less than a day and still get a 2.1. I would have other days where it would take me an afternoon to write 250 words! I also have days where I feel like talking to people and days where having a conversation is really difficult. I am not sure if the dyspraxia causes this or one of my other diagnosis. I also have days where I replace words in text with words that are unrelated but begin with the same letter or even when I say words wrongly e.g. I might say pub when I mean restaurant (I know its in the same category e.g. places where food and drink are served but I still think this is a little strange). The variable performance has been happening for over two decades and the replacing words for at least the last decade.

My mum has variable performance and she has also been diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia. My sister replaces words she's not been diagnosed with anything but I feel she shows some mild dyspraxia/autistic traits.

Would be interested to hear peoples, thoughts, also feel I should add I temp at the moment and am thinking about going into employment but wonder how I'll cope with variable performance are there any strategies that I can have in place which would help thanks.
firemonkey
Power poster

Re: Dealing with variability in performance

Post by firemonkey »

I definitely vary in my ability to think. Some days I can think much better than others.
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Re: Dealing with variability in performance

Post by lizzie1991 »

I can relate to most of this. There are days where I am quite active and on the ball and know how to word my sentences both in text typing, writing and verbal words.
There are other days where if I am typing like I am now I may have to stop because I don't know what to type next as nothing is forming in my mind. I may have to keep proof reading as I'm going along to check it's making sense to me. Sometimes though I think I've tried to tell myself I'm fine, there are words I find hard to pronounce. Other times I can pronounce the same words absolutely fine. When pronouncing some words I find it a bit strainous on my voice unless I pronounce an extra syllable. Also there are times where I know what I want to say but when I come to saying it, it doesn't come out the way I wanted it to particularly verbally. For example I may be at an appointment, go into the appointment
say bits and pieces, not as I wanted to word it or in the set order. I may try to think as I am speaking but end up stopping and pausing. These things don't happen all of the time though but do still happen often.