housework

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

daisycat300
New member - welcome them!

Re: housework

Post by daisycat300 »

housework - aaaargh! It's a complete mystery how other people do it so effortlessly!
http://www.flylady.com is often recommended for adults with dyspraxia and although the website is a bit crazy, the babysteps section is very helpful http://flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp it tells you what to do each day and build up a cleaning routine slowly.
At first i tried to print it out and follow it, but it didn't stick in my memory before i lost the paper so now i memorise a bit at a time and add 1 new task a month. For example, my routine for May was to make the bed, put on make-up, take a load of laundry down, put the washing machine, empty the dishwasher and give the toilet a quick swish. I remembered this by thinking of 3 jobs upstairs, and 3 jobs downstairs and thinking of the locations, flowing one for another. My task for June is to add taking my vitamins to this list. I've remembered once so far, but hey that's why they call it babysteps!
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I hate housework. My house is clean and fairly tidy, but as I work and go out a lot I tend to put things down and leave them where they are for ages. I love it when my house is clean and tidy, but just hate doing it, I tend to start about 6 jobs at once when I do tidy, so it takes ages to look good.
jen d
Getting settled in

Post by jen d »

I have a real problem with housework both with organisation and with doing it well. My most hated task is cleaning windows as they never get clean. Generally my house always looks messy and when I do start to do it I seem to be just shuffling things around and never get finished. I think the problem is trying to work out where to start and how to get things done. I also tend to start something, get distracted and leave that task half done and go on to something else so end up doing several things badly, rather than one well

It was because of these problems that I asked for diagnosis as it has been a real strain on my marriage
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Net curtains or voil are the answer to dirty windows....what you can't see won't bother you!I found nice curtains that look more like voil and just have little dots on them.
Quentin
New member - welcome them!

Post by Quentin »

Housekeeping is the act of cleaning the rooms and furnishings of a home. It is one of the many chores included in the term housework. Housecleaning includes activities such as disposing of rubbish, cleaning dirty surfaces, dusting and vacuuming. It may also involve some outdoor chores, such as removing leaves from rain gutters, washing windows and sweeping doormats
shakey
Getting settled in

Post by shakey »

I'm OK with some housework, but other things I hate. Hoovering is OK - good job as my hubbie has really bad allergic rhinitis so I have to hoover 3 times a week (we also have a dog). We do have one of these hoovers with the extra filters in so it does make a big difference as some hoovers push nearly as much dust out of the back as they take in the front.

I hate ironing as I seem to iron in as many creases as I take out! It takes me ages to iron anything.
Whenever I'm trying to clean windows or any other vertical surface, I keep dropping the cloth or sponge, like many other things they seem to manage to fall out of my hand for no apparent reason (though now I understand this is to do with proprioception difficulties) I also have joint pain which makes this sort of cleaning job difficult. Have to admit I have a cleaner once a week, but I still have to tidy up before she arrives which can be interesting!