Any parents who're dyspraxic also have a dyspraxic child?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

SansaBaby
Getting settled in

Any parents who're dyspraxic also have a dyspraxic child?

Post by SansaBaby »

I suspect I am dysrpraxic.

I fit most of the symptoms and on chatting to both my doctor and the SENCO at my daughters Nursery they both agree that it's very likely. Over the last few months I've had a range of emotions about this, but I am finally beginning to accept that it's likely that I am undiagnosed dyspraxic. I still hate myself every time I trip over thin air or kick the bed when going to the loo in the night and wake my husband.

My daughter is only 2, but she's also beginning to shows signs of dyspraxia. She currently has a diagnosis of a Global Developmental Delay which means she's behind other children her age, the professionals feel around 4-5 months behind. She's met all of her physical milestones late, and although she does have a hip condition the consultants treating that have said it should not cause a physical delay. She has a pediatrician and he mentioned that her gross motor skills where slow. The first thing that came up when I typed that into google was dyspraxia. She's also badly speech delayed at the age of 2 years 1 month she has a grand total of 30-40 words. They are looking at other potential causes, and she may have other things alongside or instead of dyspraxia but this is where I feel her diagnosis is going.

Anyone on here a dyspraxic adult and have a dyspraxic child? And if yes how do you manage day to day?

Also does anyone know if dyspraxia is hereditary like autism/ASD and similar conditions are? Or is it just a fluke that we both potentially have it?
Suspected Dyspraxic

Mother to a beautiful daughter (b. 28/6/15) and a cat
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any parents who're dyspraxic also have a dyspraxic child?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Sansababy

The answer the Dyspraxia Foundation give in their FAQs states

Does dyspraxia run in families?

No “dyspraxic gene” has been identified. However many parents of children who have dyspraxia can identify another member of the family with similar difficulties: as dyspraxia is more often found in boys than girls this may be a father, grandfather, uncle or cousin. Sometimes, during the course of an assessment fathers realise that they experienced similar difficulties as a child. They then have to rethink their own life experiences while also supporting their child and partner. Ragu Lingham ( 2009) concluded in his research that there is a hereditary risk factor with coordination difficulties and Michele Lee and Sue Yoxall found in their study (2007) that 32% reported a family history of dyspraxia or co-ordination difficulties.

There are some parents on here - not me I lead a lonely existence and have yet to find a woman who is crazy enough to want to be in a relationship with me! If you try a keyword search on words like parenting you should uncover some older postings feel free to add your thoughts if you want to.. I'm sorry the boards can be quiet and getting a response is not always a certainty or even quick.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Reevesj25
New member - welcome them!

Post by Reevesj25 »

Hi yes I am dyspraxic and have 1 child who is dyspraxic too. My mom is also dyspraxic.
LizzyD
New member - welcome them!

Post by LizzyD »

I am new to the word dyspraxia, let along a diagnosis of such. I am in the healthcare field. I wanted to further my education and decided to do so online via the Univ. of Derby. While I did quite well in my studies in the U.S. I had an alarmingly difficult time with the modules I chose. In the U.S. one is given a huge textbook and specific assignments requiring research and scholarly papers. Weekly assignments, projects, and a final term paper. In the UK, the format and requirements were specific but that was it. There were suggested texts, far too many to read or purchase. I completed one module with a top grade and had to drop out of three others! I could not understand what the problem was. I felt that old familiar feeling of being lost, unable to grasp what I needed, yet I really did not know what I needed!
I did some research on some UK sites and could not believe what I was reading...this was me. I am 63 years old, a well respected Registered Nurse for over 40 years, married with two grown successful children, how could this be?
Upon reflection it was not just me, but my father also who probably had dyspraxia, and my son. Currently my granddaughter is being tested. I am not sure what the scholarly research says about dyspraxia being inherited, but, the McAllister (British) family would be worth a case study.
I'm not trying to be funny, but I look back now and think about my father, myself and my son going anywhere...what a nightmare! Inevitably we got lost, we always forgot something like the money or where we parked, and then in the store we couldn't remember what we came for. Of course we always were asked, "what took you so long"?