Answering the phone.

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

unknownpleasures
New member - welcome them!

Answering the phone.

Post by unknownpleasures »

I'd love some feedback on this specific issue.

I feel I cope well with my dyspraxia despite it playing a part in most of my daily roles. I also feel it contributes to plenty of the good aspects in my life.

The one issue I cannot get to grips with is the fact I struggle to pick up the phone to people when it appears out of the blue.

This is quite specific as I work in bars and when the phone rings I am happy to answer it... Usually because I assume its a call to make a booking or inquiry and this is fine. The same goes if I am meeting a friend and they call before to ask where we are going or where to meet.

My problems comes when it is a call from someone without me knowing what it is about... Even if it is my parents, brother or close friends. The worst is a number on my mobile which I do not recognize but these are also easy to ignore.

Is this a situation other people find themselves in?

My most simple explanation is that I will not be very good at dealing with a proposition that is out of the blue and would rather not have to deal with it at the time. I also treat my personal time very previously and struggle with being disturbed when I am on my own.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Answering the phone.

Post by Tom fod »

Is this in the sense that a phone call can be an unwelcome interruption to your train of thought or is it because thecphone call can put you on the spot whereby you need to quickly gauge what they are asking and respond appropriately?

Usually you have the option of switching off/or putting your phone on silent and letting it go to voicemail or you can answer and say sorry could I call you back in a bit.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

I'm exactly the same, i hate talking on the phone to people i don't know. i also do not like wringing people i don't know.
George H
Getting settled in

Post by George H »

Yes, I am the same. I almost freak out when I hear the telephone ring, and when I answer it with something generic like "hello", I almost panic thinking, who it could be. I had four telephone calls last week on each day, and I always think "who can that be?" I am the same when the postman delivers letters to my address. I like receiving letters, but I get anxious when it comes to opening them.

The worst scenario is when I hear silence - perhaps someone has dialed the wrong number and only just realised before I answer it, or it's some sort of computer thing ringing me. 1471 sometimes brings some relief to this, although when the number is withheld, that is something else entirely.