Dyspraxia and diet

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia and diet

Post by Strawberryocean »

Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone finds that eating certain foods can help with their concentration/tiredness. At the moment , i always found that having a big breakfast can help me focus for longer.

Can anyone suggest any foods that are helpful?
Ram
Power poster

Re: Dyspraxia and diet

Post by Ram »

Strawberryocean said:
I was wondering if anyone finds that eating certain foods can help with their concentration/tiredness. At the moment , i always found that having a big breakfast can help me focus for longer.

Personally, I think it's always important to have adequate protein (be it in the form of meat, fish or dairy) with every meal along with some fresh fruit and veg. I also find I'm best off avoiding artificial sugar and bread.

In other words, nutrient dense food works better for me.
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Ram wrote:Strawberryocean said:

Personally, I think it's always important to have adequate protein (be it in the form of meat, fish or dairy) with every meal along with some fresh fruit and veg. I also find I'm best off avoiding artificial sugar and bread.

In other words, nutrient dense food works better for me.
Thank you for your response. I am terrible for drinking fizzy drinks. Do you just stick to drinks such as milk and water?
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Strawberryocean wrote:
I am terrible for drinking fizzy drinks. Do you just stick to drinks such as milk and water?
I am a bit of a Nazi when it comes to drinks. :-p

Soft drinks are like drugs IMO. Highly addictive and unhealthy. Actually, they're worse because they're totally socially acceptable and legal, even for children! Part of the problem is the short term rush that they create, yet leave a person depleted after time, completing a vicious circle.

I stick to water, milk and green tea.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now! :)
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

I totally agree with Ram. I find it difficult to understand why soft drinks are so available for those very reasons.

Diet-wise, I'm a pretty clean eater. I do a lot of food prep which is laborious at times, but very worth while.

Although this is all immeasurable, I believe that it makes a difference to my concentration and energy levels etc. I certainly feel sluggish and not 'with it' when I let my diet slip.
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Clumsy wrote:I totally agree with Ram. I find it difficult to understand why soft drinks are so available for those very reasons.

Diet-wise, I'm a pretty clean eater. I do a lot of food prep which is laborious at times, but very worth while.

Although this is all immeasurable, I believe that it makes a difference to my concentration and energy levels etc. I certainly feel sluggish and not 'with it' when I let my diet slip.
Thank you for replying too. As you and ram have suggested , i will definitely wean myself off the fizzy drinks. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a few meals that are your personal favourites? In particular, breakfast? :)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I just saw your other post about the long shifts that you sometimes need to work. I imagine that's a challenge for anyone with or without dyspraxia. This is especially true in a job like nursing where you are on your feet all the time.

One major issue is that I think the human body needs some food every three hours to work optimally in order to avoid major peaks and troughs in blood glucose level. But you probably know more than me about this.

One thing that I bring with me to work is bananas and boiled eggs (and sometimes almonds) to snack on from time to time help maintain my energy levels. If you can do something like this, it may help you avoid the temptation to go for fizzy drinks. However, you may well tell me that as a nurse you don't get enough in the way of breaks as a nurse to eat such things.

I've probably repeated a lot of stuff that you know already. But I hope there is at least something here that helps.
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Ram wrote:I just saw your other post about the long shifts that you sometimes need to work. I imagine that's a challenge for anyone with or without dyspraxia. This is especially true in a job like nursing where you are on your feet all the time.

One major issue is that I think the human body needs some food every three hours to work optimally in order to avoid major peaks and troughs in blood glucose level. But you probably know more than me about this.

One thing that I bring with me to work is bananas and boiled eggs (and sometimes almonds) to snack on from time to time help maintain my energy levels. If you can do something like this, it may help you avoid the temptation to go for fizzy drinks. However, you may well tell me that as a nurse you don't get enough in the way of breaks as a nurse to eat such things.

I've probably repeated a lot of stuff that you know already. But I hope there is at least something here that helps.

Thank you! That is helpful. It also seems obtainable too. Usually on a twelve hour shift i have two half an hour breaks, but my mentors (as I'm a student) usually let me have a few mins here and there if i need a little rest.

I shall buy a few snacks like the what you suggested and give it a try.

Thank your your advice :)
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Thank you for replying too. As you and ram have suggested , i will definitely wean myself off the fizzy drinks. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a few meals that are your personal favourites? In particular, breakfast? :)
Yeah, sure.

So I'm a creature oh habit, so I have the same breakfast pretty much all the time- 3 eggs scrambled, 1 small avocado, portion of baked beans (Heinz snack pots) and a bowl of porridge. I have this at around 7:30am any day of the week. The nutrient breakdown are as follows, in rough terms--

Eggs - protein
Beans - protein
Avocado - fruit and fats
Porridge - carbs

I'm a big eater. I've never been very good at dealing with hunger or tiredness, I tend to get crabby and my brain turns to mush. I workout 4-5 times a week, helps me to feel good.

Hope this helps.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I forgot to mention that a few members say that fish oil tablets help their mental functioning. I don't know for sure myself. But it does make intuitive sense that good quality fats help the brain to work better.
Last edited by Ram on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Clumsy wrote:I've never been very good at dealing with hunger or tiredness. I tend to get crabby and my brain turns to mush.
That sounds just like me! :)
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Clumsy wrote:
Yeah, sure.

So I'm a creature oh habit, so I have the same breakfast pretty much all the time- 3 eggs scrambled, 1 small avocado, portion of baked beans (Heinz snack pots) and a bowl of porridge. I have this at around 7:30am any day of the week. The nutrient breakdown are as follows, in rough terms--

Eggs - protein
Beans - protein
Avocado - fruit and fats
Porridge - carbs

I'm a big eater. I've never been very good at dealing with hunger or tiredness, I tend to get crabby and my brain turns to mush. I workout 4-5 times a week, helps me to feel good.

Hope this helps.
That sounds great! I like the sound of all those foods and also it isn't at all expensive. seems like that would keep me going for a while. I shall have to keep you posted on how it goes!
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Ram wrote:I forgot to mention that few members say that fish oil tablets help their mental functioning. I don't know for sure myself. But it does make intuitive sense that good quality fats help the brain to work better.
I have been talking these for a while :) I figured that it's easy to take them, so i may as well give them a try. Hoping to see some long term results
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Strawberryocean wrote:
I have been talking these (fish oil tablets)for a while :) I figured that it's easy to take them, so i may as well give them a try. Hoping to see some long term results
I have also being doing for a while. It's very hard to know whether they are improving things in terms of mental functioning since any changes will be very gradual, a bit like you don't notice the growth of a child day to day. It's also hard to know whether any perceived improvements are just a placebo effect.

Nevertheless, they are worth doing since they contain a good amount of Omega 3, something that most modern western diets are Omega 3 deficient in. Omega 3 deficiency is linked to a whole lot of health issues. It is well-known that it may lead to heart problems. Some sources say that Omega 3 deficiency is the cause of a whole lot of inflammatory conditions prevalent in western society such as ear wax build up.

I have also been taking multi vitamins and minerals for a while. I definitely feel better for taking them, but obviously can't prove anything. I do think they have slowed down my male pattern baldness but don't want to make too bold a claim on that front.

Something that I read recently is that many people make the common mistake of storing oil and vitamin pills in the kitchen. This causes tablets to deteriorate rapidly because of the heat generated by cooking. It's much better to store supplementary tablets somewhere in a drawer in your bedroom or living room.
Strawberryocean
Getting settled in

Ram wrote:
Strawberryocean wrote:
I have been talking these (fish oil tablets)for a while :) I figured that it's easy to take them, so i may as well give them a try. Hoping to see some long term results
I have also being doing for a while. It's very hard to know whether they are improving things in terms of mental functioning since any changes will be very gradual, a bit like you don't notice the growth of a child day to day. It's also hard to know whether any perceived improvements are just a placebo effect.

Nevertheless, they are worth doing since they contain a good amount of Omega 3, something that most modern western diets are Omega 3 deficient in. Omega 3 deficiency is linked to a whole lot of health issues. It is well-known that it may lead to heart problems. Some sources say that Omega 3 deficiency is the cause of a whole lot of inflammatory conditions prevalent in western society such as ear wax build up.

I have also been taking multi vitamins and minerals for a while. I definitely feel better for taking them, but obviously can't prove anything. I do think they have slowed down my male pattern baldness but don't want to make too bold a claim on that front.

Something that I read recently is that many people make the common mistake of storing oil and vitamin pills in the kitchen. This causes tablets to deteriorate rapidly because of the heat generated by cooking. It's much better to store supplementary tablets somewhere in a drawer in your bedroom or living room.

I agree that it may be hard to spot the changes, but either way there isn't anything lost by taking them. I read that vitamin B can be good for giving energy, so I'm currently trialling that in combination with the change to my diet. I also hear that vitamin D can be beneficial. Do you take a particular blend? Or is it a general multi vitamin tablet?