single mum with dislexia and dispraxia in serious debt problem need help

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

hmconvery1989
New member - welcome them!

single mum with dislexia and dispraxia in serious debt problem need help

Post by hmconvery1989 »

Hello everyone looking for advice.
Iam 28 was dignosed in primary school with dislexia then later dispraxia. Once i reached secondary school the support stopped but regardless of that i mange to keep in work since i was 16 even tho am fogetfull messy unorganised and slow compaered to other people.
When i was living with my ex and daughter of my child he had control of bills i just with drew money to give to him to pay bills but regardless of that i would always over spend. So i turned for extra money in the form of over drafts loans. We would constintly have arguments about how i could not manerge to keep on top of house work. I would be told am stupid and dispraxia is not a real thing.
Eventuly i left him with my daghter a year ago.
for the first time ever i am in charge of bills keeping my flat tidy and bills. Am doing my best to mange and pay things on time but am failing. Am strugling to keep on top of all bills and fear i may loose my home.
I fear that my ex is right and that i am usless and wont be able to manerge living on my own.
I need to suport but dont no where to go.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: single mum with dislexia and dispraxia in serious debt problem need help

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome
A lot of people struggle with money and I can't profess to know what to say here as I'm in a different boat. The Citizens Advice Bureau, and/or Money Advice Service are probably best placed to help you formulate a debt management plan and budget, though I appreciate sticking to such a plan could be very difficult.

CAB may be able able to help you in terms of advising on any entitlements to working tax credits and alimony/CSA payments from your ex.

Your ex sounds like a bit of a stupid monster if you don't mind me saying.

Any further questions please ask.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Tom fod wrote:Your ex sounds like a bit of a stupid monster if you don't mind me saying.
That's not the word I used in my head to describe him :-k

I would imagine that personal budgeting is not the best skill for anyone. I don't recall learning about bank accounts, mortgages, bills or debits at school.

The way I deal with my finances is relatively structured and strategised.

I have a list itemising all my regular bills and debits so that I know the basic cost of my expenses. I have a separate bank account setup which I use for routine bills and direct debits, I.e mortgage, council tax, insurance, electric etc. I have a standing order which puts a fixed amount into that account every month. This works quite smoothly.

What I have left from the direct debits is what I use for consumerables. And I budget for that too with a separate savings accounts.

Actually.. I've devised a system of accounts to take care of my money.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The.difficulty can be in finding a system/structure that works for you personally amid all the noise of people calling out for your money and people telling you need to do your money juggling in this particular way.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Aye... There is that too.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: