Being mum to a Dyspraxic Teenager

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

JueC
New member - welcome them!

Being mum to a Dyspraxic Teenager

Post by JueC »

Hi All.
I hope it's okay to post. I am not a sufferer of dypraxia but my son is. I have read through posts and it has opened my eyes a little as to how a sufferer feels. My wonderful son is so tight lipped when it comes to expressing emotion. ( except anger. he has that down to a tee). I wanted some advise how to help my son sleep at night. The only way he seems to be able to fall asleep is by literally head banging the bed on the mattress over and over. This will go on for a couple of hours.(Heaven knows what the neighbours thinks he's doing). Unfortunately the wooden bed makes a terrible noise and I dont sleep either as the noise travels through the floor into my room. Do any of you who have dyspraxia use any sleep aides to help? I worry that my son is not having enough sleep.
Do any of you feel the heat a lot too. My son can get terrible prickly heat reaction even when it isn't sunny. The fan is on in his bedroom 365 and the window is open all year too. I didn't know if that is just my son or a part of the condition.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Being mum to a Dyspraxic Teenager

Post by Tom fod »

Hi JueC

You're welcome to post here.

The always seeming to be too warm strikes a chord with me and I use a 4-5 tog duvet all year round. I tend to avoid man made fibres as being too warm exacerbates my eczema. We're all different and while there are commonalities all dyspraxics are not the same.

As regards his banging his head, I don't recall having heard of this myself. That's not to say it is unique/unheard of. Some of us have sensory processing issues. We tend to not be good at switching off and relaxing so as to be able to get to sleep. I assume you've tried to get him to try all the usual recommended things (diet routine, relaxation techniques, avoiding stimulants/stimulating activities such as gaming/mobile devices. Dyspraxia is very frustrating as feeling different from your peers is never easy.
Please do consult your GP (That is assuming he/she is not already aware/involved.)

Failing the above could there be practical measures such as moving his bed away from the wall slightly and putting some sort of rubber discs under the feet to try to minimise any sound travel.

I'm sure there are other discussions re sleeping and you may already have seen http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... eep#p30325

There's also a Dyspraxic Teens site and content on You Tube as well as the Dyspraxia Foundation. It's also worth searching this forum using keywords such as sleep, sleeping etc

Hope this of some help. Do ask if there's anything else or if I haven't been clear or have missed something.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

While just joined this forum today seems been a dyspratric all my of my 61 years and while not as bad as your son what I found that help me cope with it best was Transcendental Meditation. It didn't cure my dyspatsia but the increase brain cohesion now viewable on EEG brain scans of especially alpha brain waves helped me cope with my condition like nothing else I knew as a 21 year old or know now as I still do TM regularly 40 years after first learnt.
The below video I discovered in Nov 2011 lead me to advocate TM for adolescence with troubled minds though I know not the same condition as mine solution seem to be the same.
Regards - Bill Smith, Aberdeen

https://youtu.be/3h81jovJcE4
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: URL link checked
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Don't and can't receive any money from Transcendental Meditation as not a qualified teacher or in administration side of charity of 50 years standing in both UK & USA. If wish to search both Transcendental Meditation and Dyslexia (dyspatsia perhaps to litttle field to be well researched) find how TM can help with consequences of being born with these related conditions as I found out about 40 years ago.
While fallen out of fashion as with hippy culture it was associated in late 60's and 70's not the reason I learnt. I became aware of conflict in my mind and was looking for something to help me and though my TM teachers couldn't offer any evidence knew needed something so paid the fee and learnt late summer 1976. Worked better than could reasonable hoped for though not a cure for my dyspatsia but increase brain cohesion gave me from even first meditation (had low levels to start with) evident though my fearful brain did best to ruin the experience.
Now with brain research incl EEG scans people now more aware of fight or flight part of brain (amygdala) and wise for brain not to operate in this mode unless threatened which thankful I don't anymore. Also good that PTSD suffers also find TM better for condition than anything else as again found on internet and TM becoming "fashionable" again and I for one happy that this time for help can be for troubled populations often at instigation of the David Lynch Foundation again as can be found in internet and sork of people like Clinical Pysciathrist Norman Rosenthal who's book Transcendence boughy in past & saw I Edinburgh in past - organised primarily by Napier University Psychology Research Group with the post graduate most involved also a researcher in dyslexia & happy post talk to here input from my experiences.
Hopefully with less prejudice against TM the full potential of this simple technique which by closing eyes and recalingl a meaningless word (mantra) from ancient tradition that as far as I am aware no adverse side effects allows brain to self heal and then develop free from conscious concerns that dominate troubled mind. Regards Bill S (sorry trouble typing this site & with my old phone)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Bill

I'd definitely struggle to type that much out on a phone.without being driven to distraction and uttering some choices words. Thanks for expanding on your previous post and explaining a little more about T M Apologies for not giving you benefit of the doubt and please consider the warning rescinded.

Dyspraxia (and Dyslexia too) can cause those effected significant anxiety and whilst Transcendental Meditation might not be readily thought of/considered I guess it's an option some might wish to explore. I'm aware that Mindfulness is currently 'in vogue' but must confess my mind at least is maybe not as open as it could. It's not difficult to get a sense of the condition and its emotional/psychological impact from reading the posts here. Thanks for offering up some leads to help anyone who might decide that T M for them warrants some further investigation.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)