Environment/Sound Sensitivity

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt1988
Getting settled in

Environment/Sound Sensitivity

Post by Matt1988 »

Ok I just have a quick question.

When you have been outside and you come back in, does it take you some time to adjust to the quieter environment? E.G. If I have been outside shopping or something I'll come back home, turn the TV on and put the volume really loud because it feels like I'm still outside and my environment has to match the loudness of outside.

This will be for like 5-15 minutes and then all of a sudden I'll really want and need to turn the TV volume down because I put it way too loud (but it didn't seem loud when I first turned it up). Then I'll put it really quiet. It's like once my brain has adjusted to the environmental shift I can calm down and settle into the environment.

It's the opposite for going from inside (quiet) to outside (loud). I'll be really quiet when going out because it takes a while for my head to get out of the quiet inside environment to the loud outside environment.

When I say "quiet" or "loud" I'm not just talking about noise. I'm talking about everything. Like seeing other people, moving cars, the sunlight. I'll get back inside and everything still seems "fast" or "intense". Like you've been on a rollercoaster and now you're sat in a quiet tea room. I probably sound crazy but hopefully someone can relate.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Environment/Sound Sensitivity

Post by Tom fod »

Doesn't sound that crazy 8-). While we're all induviduals switching from one state to another can be tricky.

I find it quite hard to switch off or let go sometimes. No Zen like state for me but wish I could be better at stopping and taking a step back as intense is quite exhausting
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Bit of a weird one (and this might be more appropriate for the work section), but I find that I'm quite sensitive to artificial light nowadays. I work mostly late shifts in a grocery shop that is brightly lit and has a lot of LEDs / bright backlit signs and all that stuff around, so when I'm on my break I actually like to sit in the dark as it relaxes me. Unsurprisingly, people find this strange and a few of my 'less subtle' colleagues will walk past, notice I'm in the break room without a light on, proceed to ridicule me for it, and then turn the light on again before walking off. People tend to offended by even slightly different behaviour in my experience.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I developed spd symptoms also, the dianoses that u are probably looking for is spd (sensory processing disorder ) it can work in to idividuals that has dyspraxia, such as my self.
Next time I am meeting my ot, I need to bring that up, it keeps slipping my mind when I see her.

For me I try to ware a mask, going out. Is it the wrong thing to do;maybe, because it will rare u down at times fatigue and such. Have to be part of the community some how.

Kinda makes sense if I have social anxiety , I get overwhelmed it megnifies.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

No, I'm actually very noise sensitive . I can't watch anything on TV that is too loud like people screaming or yelling or war scenes, etc. I just turn the channel. Can't stand bars/clubs with loud music. I sleep with ear plugs on and sometimes if there's a lot of noise outside I just wear the ear plugs.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I'm usually thrilled to get into a quiet environment
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

My SPD seems to have developed more over time. Is this typical or is this just growing old?

I can't stand noise that's out of my control. I can remember times it never particularly bothered me.