Helpful Technology for Dyspraxia

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

technology_inno
New member - welcome them!

Helpful Technology for Dyspraxia

Post by technology_inno »

Hello everyone ,
I am currently working in a project about dyspraxia. I am trying to create a technological product that could help people with dyspraxia and make their daily routine easier. I wanna ask what do you think it would be helpful for your daily routine?
I would like to start a conversation about this topic and if it would easy for you to help me with my research.
Thank you very much
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Helpful Technology for Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hello and welcome

Firstly please can you advise who your research is for and provide adequate assurances re the handling and storage of any personal information you collect.

I think it is worth remembering that while technology solutions can be helpful they do not negate dyspraxia and arent foolproof. Any tech platform to my mind would need to be tough waterproof unlosable and remind you to charge itself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
technology_inno

Thank you for your comment, that's really helpful.

In terms of information storage and personal data, my idea with this thread is not to collect data but just to discuss dyspraxia and how it affects
daily life as i would like to develop a technology prototype to help with this.

Let me tell you some things about me. I am MSc student and my module requires us to develop a technological prototype about a connected home. I thought that maybe i could concentrate on dyspraxia but i don't have a lot of knowledge of this. That's why i want to gather some information that would help me with my final prototype.

Thank you!!!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks for your response/explanation. Sounds like an interesting assignment. Dyspraxia affects us in different ways and to different degrees so like all things one solution could be useful to some and confusing to others.

Some traits that are often said to be typically dyspraxic linclude being disorganised, clumsy, and or inattentive of course soutions to help with the aforementioned would be equally helpful to anyone living a busy life with multiple responsibilities to keep on top of.

Interested to know why you chose Dyspraxia. Are you or family/friends affected by the condition?

Be interesting to see others ideas.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
technology_inno

Thank you very much for your helpful information.
In terms of your question, my friend is working as a counsellor and she was telling about dyspraxia. One of her friends is dyspraxic and she was explaining me about dyspraxia. As a result, I thought that I can combine my prototype with something that could help some people(at least to try) . I don't know yet what my prototype will be but I want to create something that will be useful.
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

That sounds like an interesting project! Interconnectedness is a great area for discussing dyspraxia in my mind, something we're so good at often is being able to see the links between ideas and people in the big picture.
I love Tom's comment on unloseable, waterproof and reminds you to charge it- these are all such pitfalls!
Tech that has helped me is often multifunctional- I am making strides in not losing ideas by using googledocs but don't have a phone that can access it currently because of expense. Mindmapping software was really helpful, as was my dictaphone- but I lost the dictaphone and the disc for my mindmap software then broke my computer ](*,)
Something that allows dyspraxic people to track something in their home, like a list to keep on the fridge for when you go shopping but can add to or access from outside the home because I always forget my shopping list, or some way to electro-magnetise all the things you need when leaving the house so when you're about to go out you can press a button and your purse, keys, phone, glasses and diary will all fly to you!
I know these are mostly massively impractical ideas but if I tell you what fits a need maybe your practical brain can figure something out :)
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Can you make teeny rfid stickers with a locator? Like i could put a sticker which identifies my purse as my purse and then have a little thing by the door which could tell me where in the house (or that it's somewhere outside the house) all my essential items are on a little map? that would save me SO MUCH TIME OH MY GOODNESS PLEASE MAKE ME A PROTOTYPE!!
Sorry.
I am an actual adult but the idea of not having to waste time looking for everything all the time got me a bit overexcited.
technology_inno

Thank you very much Tom and pixiewithdocs for your advice. Especially pixiewithdocs the information that you can given me is really helpful. I will let you know what will be my prototype. For the moment i am thinking to create something that will be connected with the phone and an object at the home but I don't know yet how exactly will i do that. Maybe using GPS and your idea with stickers was really good. However , I am still gathering information and at the end of this week, I will have my idea ready to represent it. Next week I will create my first prototype
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Dyspraxia could also branch out to other Niro disorders also, it's common for in the spactrum the two major parents of Nirological disorders is dcd and asd and both can have simular properties but they say dcd is more complexed, for are brain does not shut off or find it hard to rest majority of the time.

It's also inhence's anxiety and depression, which we our prone to; and find it at times hard to find an enterance point to get are thoughts or opinions ideas out of are minds and into the world. So we are not dump or stupid or lazy. just like Tom was saying about multitasking in are heads to survive, to be functional in the world. A lot of multitasking in our heads, that a lot of people with no symptoms of Dyspraxia take's for granted.

Such as nerves system, sensory overload, and insomnia.for our saradonium finds it difficult to relax and shut off and shut on in moments we are overwhelmed by something. I hope I got that brain muscle right on spelling.
My bad if it is not , it's early morning .
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Hey it's been a while since I logged on but I'd love to hear about your project if it's something you followed up on! :)
technology_inno

Hey, I am sorry for my late reply. The project went really good and my prototype was good enough for my first attempt. I tried to follow your suggestions and build something on them. Currently, I started my dissertation, which I chose to follow my idea for the dyspraxia and I will start with research again and workshops. I will create an application ( the interface because I am not web developer) and hopefully the paper will be published. At least, this is my expectation with my tutor.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks for the update sounds like you've been busy. Good luck with your continuing efforts.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator