Organising my life

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

will
New member - welcome them!

Organising my life

Post by will »

where to start..

i find what many may deem simple tasks very challenging - ordering a new driving licence, opening a bank account, keeping appointments, iv spent the last 2 weeks and i have achieved both however i have not been able to do anything else

iv found myself wandering about town - confused. i have found when i ask for help people are happy to help ie with filling in forms, writing down things for me.

i get tired man.. i got turned down for a bank account and was weepy on the bus in to town :-({|= lol.. im propper emotional, honestly.. i felt absolutely gutted. it took ages of getting documents together, forgetting them, going back for them, appointments etc. Hard hard work for me atm. then i got into town and found another solution and was propper proud of myself, all this makes me tired.

iv got other stuff i would like to be doing but can only seem to be doing one thing at a time. i get distracted sooo easily.

im struggling to stand on my own. im currently at my dads, i was in a long term relationship for 6 years where my gf organised stuff - she would occasionally complain about having to mother me, before that i was at my mums.

i had a job since i left school (2002 - 2014) and theres lots im proud of what iv achieved but these things are a struggle atm

i like to try and live in the solution
iv been practicing yoga for a while, it helps keep some mental balance.. maybe meditation will help with focus??

i love this forum
Me on a good day ~ yeah, life is hard. some have to work harder than others! no pain no gain! etc...
Me on a bad day ~ ......meh..... :shake:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Organising my life

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Will

I find I'm not good at doing the things I should be doing, like tidying my flat. The other thing I seem to do sometimes is delay doing things, due to some or other irrational fear or being distracted by less important but more interesting distractions.

I can be very hard on myself about not getting everything or as much done that I feel I ought to, In many ways I'm a less than perfect perfectionist.

Mindfulness seems to be mentioned a lot these days as a form of meditation to help with various kinds of anxiety. Keep thinking I ought to know a little more but not personally had compulsion given all my other distractions.

To my mind, the other thing about dyspraxia, beyond the incorrect assumption we're always clumsy, is that we're thinking harder/longer and not so good at switching off which no doubt contributes to our feeling tired.If you aren't having any luck with addressing the obvious factors, a chat with your GP is not a bad idea.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Leanne84

Post by Leanne84 »

Hi I'm new to this forum, but also struggle with organising my life, mainly because I like to stay busy so I take too much on.
I have recently bought my own house but am struggling to keep on top of the housework, which is really stressing me out. I've also become obsessed with order and everything being neat and tidy, which is almost impossible when you have dyspraxia.
I want to do things my own way so will not accept, which causes conflict but when I do accept help I become angry and frustrated because I don't feel in charge . I don't know what to do I'm really struggling at the moment but can't ask for help.
Have you tried using apps like Buddhify that's helped me to relax

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Leanne84 wrote:Hi I'm new to this forum, but also struggle with organising my life, mainly because I like to stay busy so I take too much on.
I have recently bought my own house but am struggling to keep on top of the housework, which is really stressing me out. I've also become obsessed with order and everything being neat and tidy, which is almost impossible when you have dyspraxia.
I want to do things my own way so will not accept, which causes conflict but when I do accept help I become angry and frustrated because I don't feel in charge . I don't know what to do I'm really struggling at the moment but can't ask for help.
Have you tried using apps like Buddhify that's helped me to relax

Thanks
Hi Leanne

First of all a very warm welcome to our forum and congratulations on getting your own house.

I too am apt to try to take on too much and I'm also a perfectionist. I very much feel that maintaining a feeling of control is very important which seems to often translate into an unwillingness to ask for or accept help since we have to relinquish that control and that can feel like admitting defeat and we aren't good at that.

I think another thing to be aware of is as big picture thinkers we need to try to remember that we need to break tasks down and try to resist that compulsion to try to do everything at once and not feel too guilty about allowing ourselves necessary downtime to try to relax and put aside temporarily the 1001 things that are screaming out to be done to save ourselves becoming completely frazzled.

Being a bloke living alone my standards are perhaps a bit more lax but all the same I wish I was a little better at doing enough to keep on top of stuff. I hope my rambling is of some comfort and again welcome. I think I need to get on with a few housework tasks as the room I'm in is in particular a bit of a dumping ground here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

Leanne, I know this isn't directly related to organisation, but you mentioned struggling to keep on top of housework. One of the best tips I was ever given is take shoes off the minute you get inside. You'll be amazed at how much cleaner the floors and carpets stay! :)
will

Post by will »

oh my good god. iv just spent the last 2 hours reading , re-reading replies and composing a message i just got it done and it timed out and i lost it. i feel gutted. ](*,)

Tom you did say about doing it in word - i deffo will be doing in future .

i'll try that app, thanks , and welcome to the site , its awesome

i'll try again tomorrow...
Me on a good day ~ yeah, life is hard. some have to work harder than others! no pain no gain! etc...
Me on a bad day ~ ......meh..... :shake:
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

maria wrote:Leanne, I know this isn't directly related to organisation, but you mentioned struggling to keep on top of housework. One of the best tips I was ever given is take shoes off the minute you get inside. You'll be amazed at how much cleaner the floors and carpets stay! :)
I'm a Leanne too. And this advice is genius :D

Im rubbish at organising and getting things done. On the plus side I'm very good at Procrastination And distractiblility lol.

In seriousness though. I also get very tired. And fed up with things not getting completed, with things taking longer and with learning new stuff taking forever.

We have to try and be kind to ourselves. It's not easy I know. I'm writing this to remind ME to be patient and compassionate towards myself too.
It's Frustrating. Annoying, and tiring. It Knocks our self esteem. Yes definitely.

But it's not our fault. Perhaps an app on improving self esteem may help too? If I find a good one I'll let you know. I need one too. Xx