Can't put in ear plugs?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

bluebird
New member - welcome them!

Can't put in ear plugs?

Post by bluebird »

Hi um so has anyone else had the problem of being unable to tolerate noisy environments such as college but unable to put in ear plugs due to the motor skills involved?! I'm 20 years old and it's frankly embarrassing needing to ask someone to try to teach me! I don't have a dyspraxia diagnosis but I suspect that I have it (only mild, but enough to interfere with daily life).
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Can't put in ear plugs?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Quite a few people struggle with noisy environments, either because they"re unable to concentrate or in some cases they find the noise physically painful. It"s also possible that some people find the touch sensartion of wearing ear plugs or defenders is not to their liking.

Could noise cancelling headphones be a viable option?
I think you should speak to your GP or college welfare service to discuss the difficulties you"re experiencing as they will be better placed to help you find a workable solution.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
bluebird
New member - welcome them!

Post by bluebird »

Tom fod wrote:Hi and welcome

Quite a few people struggle with noisy environments, either because they"re unable to concentrate or in some cases they find the noise physically painful. It"s also possible that some people find the touch sensartion of wearing ear plugs or defenders is not to their liking.

Could noise cancelling headphones be a viable option?
I think you should speak to your GP or college welfare service to discuss the difficulties you"re experiencing as they will be better placed to help you find a workable solution.
They seem expensive... Do you think there's any chance I could get any through DSA? :-s
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

If it's assessed that you need them and the funding is available, you might. The first step is speaking to your GP about your discomfort, just in case there are any other medical reasons. Your GP and/or college should hopefully be able to find find someone who can formally assess you.

The reason I suggested the headphones was that earplugs are generally more suited to industrial/engineering settings. (You haven't said what you are studying).
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

bluebird wrote:Hi um so has anyone else had the problem of being unable to tolerate noisy environments such as college but unable to put in ear plugs due to the motor skills involved?! I'm 20 years old and it's frankly embarrassing needing to ask someone to try to teach me! I don't have a dyspraxia diagnosis but I suspect that I have it (only mild, but enough to interfere with daily life).
Hi bluebird

Not sure what kind you're using but I found foam earplugs best. Roll the earplug between your thumb and forefinger (use your middle finger as well if need be) until it's thinner and longer. Tug your earlobe gently with your other hand and insert the earplug downwards. You should feel the earplug opening out, which is a strange sensation at first, but you'll get used to it after using earplugs two or three times. Don't be scared of them getting lost inside your ear - they're too big! My first few times I was a bit scared to put them inside so would wake with at least one on the pillow next morning! Also remember after several uses they will lose their "foaminess" so won't open out as much and won't be as effective so you'll need to buy new ones.

I really hope you can get used to them as they are superb. I used them years ago when I lived above a flat where the people often had very loud rows and parties (they were alcoholics). The earplugs worked so well for me that I used to think all the shouting had stopped and take them out...only to hear it still going on and put the earplugs back in! The only thing earplugs don't work on is very loud music - you can still hear the vibrations,unfortunately - but they are definitely good in helping block out a noisy environment. :)
Nyx
Getting settled in

Post by Nyx »

I haven't been able to fit earplugs or in-earphones in my ears but I thought it was because my ear holes were too small.... :-k try on-ear headphones it cancels sounds and you don't have to worry about trying to make it fit.
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Hi Bluebird

I have a pair of ear defenders which I wear at the gym (i go to a crossfit gym, noisy as hell and generally quite uncomfortable) but for when i want to look like less of a fruit-cake i have a pair of big headphones. They just look like i'm listening to music, but quite often they are not on. But they do cancel out a lot of noise from outside.
eYh
Getting settled in

Post by eYh »

Are you trying to put them in while looking in the mirror?
If so, my advice is to do it only by feel.
I have the small earholes problem like one other poster on this topic. I cut the big ones in half, and put the smaller end (rolled up) inside the ear canal. It's that or the ones made of actual wax/silicone that will fit any ear. I'd rather go deaf than wear those ones again!

Yvonne