Using matches

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

marcmoine30
New member - welcome them!

Using matches

Post by marcmoine30 »

Hello all.

Was just wanting to canvas a bit of opinion as to how people find lighting matches. I really don't like them and have to say I am a bit frightened given the whole co-ordination thing. How do you guys cope with that? I have bought some really handy gas lighters. (live in a religious community, so need these on a regular basis.) Can anyone recommend a specific type or brand? That'd be awesome. Don't want to have to spend a fortune on butane either for refills. I feel a bit safer with a taper when lighting candles, but struggle to do this with a match. I am quite earnest, so advice/tips/experiences would be appreciated. I love o try to learn new ways of coping with things. Would also be interested from any dyspraxic thurifers out there! Cheers.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Using matches

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

What sort of matches are you typically using n and what types are typically available to you?
In the UK you can sometimes find long (around 4in) Cooks matches.

I used to be more bothered/found them more difficult but fascination and lots of practical use helped. That said I don't have much causr to use them much these days as no longer living with parents and coal fire.

Most times they will go out as they fall if you drop them so as long as you aren't in a flammable environment you shd be fine. You're probably not alone in struggling/not liking them.

I saw someone advocating putting a finger near head to support it to prevent breaking not sure I'd avoid burnt fingers. Best way is to find a way that works for you
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Sarachoc
New member - welcome them!

Re: Using matches

Post by Sarachoc »

i use bryant and may extra long matches, far too scared of normal matches or lighters!