Twitching?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

tak88
New member - welcome them!

Twitching?

Post by tak88 »

I've not been formerly diagnosed but I have a huge array of the symptoms of dyspraxia and some of them are making my life difficult. I'm trying to explore this so I can possibly understand myself better or help myself. I posted this in another board but I was told it might fit better here.

I have had a twitching problem since I was about 13 and it got so bad a few years ago when I was struggling with a lot of loss and trauma that I had several neurological exams to make sure it wasn't something wrong. They got no results. But often my head/neck will twitch, especially if it's touched in a certain way. And when I lie down on my side I often twitch in an embarrassing crunching/humping like motion. That happens a lot when I'm badly stressed. Does anyone else twitch like this?
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Re: Twitching?

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I have no idea what that is, but, you should see someone about that just to be sure. It could be a form of tourettes, the physical tics you describe make it seem like it might be something like that... I should have studied Medicine, whenever someone tells me about symptoms they have, I really want to figure it out :P
Matt1988
Getting settled in

Post by Matt1988 »

Hi Tak88

I have had tics/twitches from since I was about 10. I haven't been diagnosed with Tourette's or anything else and I am pretty certain I don't have Tourette's.

I always thought that my twitches were caused by stress but I read the other week that stress is not a cause for tics/twitching, only a symptom of some underlying condition. I just don't know what it is because it's definitely not Tourette's.

I first noticed my tics when I was playing video games and I started doing this weird throat thing, it's hard to explain. Then I was in bed once and just got a massive urge to jerk my head. Through the years I've had so many different tics I've lost count; eye blinking, eyebrow raising/lowering, chewing the inside of my mouth, head jerking, facial gurning/grimacing, opening my mouth really wide, opening/squinting my eyes in exaggerated manners, shrugging my shoulders, scrunching up my neck, flicking my fingers. There are many more.

I tic everyday almost every 10 seconds unless I'm really focusing on something, that's the only thing that stops it. I've never seen a doctor because it doesn't have that big of an affect on my daily life. Luckily I don't experience coprolalia. The main thing is that it's slightly embarrassing if I can't hide it and that it's just really tiring, mentally and physically painful after a day of it.

When I get them it's like feeling trapped inside your own body and your skin is a straitjacket. I get the same confined uncomfortable urge you'd get to fidget, move and jerk as you would in a straitjacket, trying to wriggle free. I can delay tics but I can't stop them. When I tic it relieves the pressure for about 20 seconds, then my body will do it again. The majority I don't notice but if I am sitting quietly or with people or someone and I have to try and suppress it then the pressure is way bigger, it just builds and builds. It's weird, annoying and tiring but I have learned to just deal with it.
tak88

Post by tak88 »

Like I said, I have seen a neurologist and they said nothing showed up on the tests. I also show no other signs or symptoms of Tourettes so...I really don't think I have that. It also is just two kinds of tics, and it doesn't impeded on my life that much. So I guess I just have to deal.
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

You should be fine. Also, is "tak" the tak I have in mind? Invader Zim lol
tak88

Post by tak88 »

Thanks. And no, TAK is just my initials! Sorry to disappoint.
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

Ah, I was thinking of this https://youtu.be/YEmKlz01Sog lmao