Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

anna888
New member - welcome them!

New and confused!

Post by anna888 »

anna888
New member - welcome them!
Re: Recently discovered I have dyspraxia, help?
Postby anna888 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi there,

I am new on here. Brief summary of my life :)

I am 29 and female. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and severe depression aged 25. The depression has improved ( I'm on antidepressants) and I think it was circumstantial. I have been undergoing group psychotherapy for the last three years. I have had a difficult life since aged ten as my mother has out of control mental health problems ( possibly bipolar and or schizophrenia). So I have been working through the trauma of this and the associated anxiety symptoms. I also had to leave a PHD in English Literaure which I was three years through when I had this nervous breakdown.

Since then I have recently go my first real job. I became a piano teacher aged sixteen as a part time job and otherwise clung to staying in education for fear of the working world and the 9to 5. I am still on sick pay but after mentoring I got a part time job taking notes for adults with dyslexia. Through reading about it I eat about dyspraxia, took it into my dad and thought, that's me! I'm now wandering is it is another reason I have had trouble getting a job. I have had great trouble with my short term memory since my breakdown but am now thinking, if I already have anxiety and it's got doubled up with post traumatic stress type reaction would this make it much worse? Does anyone know? I am interrupting people dos I can't keep my thoughts before they feel like they will disappear. I have all the clumsy things too, which I always knew, I just didn't know there was a name for it.

I have been encouraged to bring this up at my psychotherapy from next week. I would also love to go to and occupational therapist if I can get one, to help me with processing and following instructions and cooking etc as I can't multitask and I get very tired and frustrated a lot. Any help, especially about an overlap with mental health issues and being undiagnosed for s long time, would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling quite overwhelmed and emotional since 'discovering' this suspicion,