How Dyspraxia affects me!

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

FAndrews
Power poster

How Dyspraxia affects me!

Post by FAndrews »

Recent events in my life has made me confront my learning condition and made me realise how much it affects me, most of which is mental. Such as:

I have generally poor reflexes and reaction time.
I have occasional balance and coordination issues, especially with stairs.
I can have poor processing time with information especially a list of instructions and if I'm trying to do something else while following or listening to the instructions.
I have trouble with subtle body language and signs and can take me a while to realise or notice information, this can cause relationship and social issues and i do struggle to have much of a social life.
I have trouble with large groups, such as parties as I have trouble picking out individual conversations this is especially hard when there is additional background noise such as loud music.
I have occasional concentration issues.

So how does Dyspraxia affect you?
FAndrews
Power poster

Re: How Dyspraxia affects me!

Post by FAndrews »

anyone? :)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

My Dyspraxia affects me in very similar ways.

The symptoms I can usually pretty much cope with, except for when I come up against other people who can be very dismisve and intolerant of my ways. The kind of person who can't stop themselves from belittling someone else who is just that little bit different from them.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
FAndrews
Power poster

Post by FAndrews »

friday night was a perfect example of the large group issue. i was okay at first when we first headed (we met up at wetherspoons) which was okay because not too many people and no background music then later on we headed on to one of the local pubs, which for me was too much. too many people and too much noise made it so hard to concentrate, i ended up blending into the background and feeling awkward :( i just end up wondering why i cant be like everyone else and let myself go and have some fun. but then i realise its my condition.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Jim wrote: The symptoms I can usually pretty much cope with, except for when I come up against other people who can be very dismisve and intolerant of my ways. The kind of person who can't stop themselves from belittling someone else who is just that little bit different from them.
Sometimes Hell really is other people who don't think

Felix
I much prefer smaller groups and tend to avoid Friday/Saturday nights if I can. Whilst I like the pub and a few drinks going into a crowded pub/club playing loud music is not a comfortable experience for me and I can find myself feeling alone, lost/uncomfortable and at times quite vulnerable too.

If I'm having a good day I can cope but find the emotional/mental effects of my dyspraxia the hardest.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FAndrews
Power poster

Post by FAndrews »

yep exactly, how it feels like playing life on hard mode or something :( so frustrating, trying to have a 'normal' social life and meeting new people. makes me wonder how in the world will i ever meet new potential women (my online dating sucks, but that is another story)