Changing with age

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Changing with age

Post by Welshcakes11 »

Can anyone tell me please if dyspraxia worsens as you get older ? I ask this as I've noticed I'm struggling handling small things under pressure ( my job requires me to be quick in building a medical pack that needs to be wrapped in different sizes ) also my muscles ache and becomes tired quite easily. Thank you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Changing with age

Post by Tom fod »

I don`t believe it is considered to be a degenerative condition, though of course there isn't a whole lot of research into the condition. I'd also be prepared to wager that 95 per cent or more is focused on children.

As we get older and more experienced we can become better able to cope but at times the stress it causes means we really can struggle to cope. Don't feel a failure for having to ask for help either att work or from your GP. This warm weather coupled with our having to work harder than others and the frustration we feel with ourselves is not a good mix.Especially when we have a real but irrational fear that people are watching and waiting to see us fail
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

I personally thinks it does, I find you can be more fumbly with fasteners and buttons,and easily more frustrated with everyday things.As we age we dont have as much energy and stamina as we did when we were much younger although we like to think we do so we tire more easily with problems we already have in the first place may appear much worse as energy levels get depleted even faster. Balance and poor co ordination can be affected but that's not only with people with Dyspraxia it can be common in the elderly,and you often here of elderly people falling over and loosing their balance and ,I often say to my husband we have no chance as I already have a head start on most people.But I suppose it will also depend on the individual and how bad their Dyspraxia is to start with
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

Has anyone else found their creativity seems to be diminishing? :( Back when I was 21 I remember having a week off work and writing three stories during that week (haha, I obviously didn't do much to help round the house back then! :grin: ) and as I recollect at least one, it might have been two (I sent a few off together) was accepted for publication. I used to sell quite a few (not lots of tho!) stories and letters.

But over the years, especially the last four or so, my writing really slowed down and it started to take me days just to work on a couple of paragraphs. And now I have permanent writers' block. I just can't seem to get in that creative frame of mind anymore and tho I'm working on three different stories at the moment, more for something to do, I don't think they're very good, especially compared to how I used to write. Nothing happens in my mind and the words refuse to flow. I never thought it would happen, but I don't enjoy writing any more.

I had a very close bereavement nearly four years ago so maybe I'm suffering from mild depression. Or maybe I'm just getting old (I was 60 last month!!!! :Eek: ) Or has anyone else found that one of the pluses of dyspraxia - our imagination - isn't as strong as we grow older??? :(
Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Post by Welshcakes11 »

Thank you all for replying to my post, I'm definitely getting frustrated with myself for not being as quick and nimble as the other girls and I know they watch, one in particular which stresses me even more, I know the more you stress the worse the situation is but trying to tell myself not to stress doesn't work, lol. I agree that as I've getting older my energy and stamina are depleting quickly, I use to work with small components in my twenty's with no problems at all, I probably coped better as I can still remember being awkward and forgetful, but now I'm finding it physically getting harder and I'm only forty six lol I'm still very forgetful and my confidence is taking a bashing not that I've ever had much to begin with, I'm just so lucky to have a partner that helps me through it when I'm feeling down about it. :D thank you once again for replying it helps when other people know what your going through, I think the people in work are sympathetic but only to a certain degree.
purplerealm
New member - welcome them!

Post by purplerealm »

I put mine down to stress and that life is more paced nowadays far more than it used to be.
Jules
Getting settled in

Post by Jules »

I put mine getting worse in middle age down to loss of optimism as it is slowly dawning on me that everyone else might be right and I am not going to grow up one day.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Isn't dyspraxia linked to an elderly injury : stroke,heart attack, head trauma though??
In Canada bc, i met a nuroulogist and he siad he was stunned and amazed, cuz he never met or seen dyspraxia internally in a patient or idividaul out of 30 years of practising. Said it's super rare to find down here. That's why they probably tested me none stop when I was a kid and was puzzled

But in uk I guess dyspraxia is way more common for kids to have
How can that be?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Dyspraxia (aka DCD) is generally considered a developmental disorder that is a result of impaired/incomplete development in the womb. It also appears to be accepted by medical science that Acquired Dyspraxia can also exist as a result of disease (or injury) affecting the left inferior parietal lobe, the frontal lobes or the corpus callosum. Source: http://patient.info/doctor/dyspraxia-and-apraxia. (Apraxia is inability to do)

This thread originally started as a question/discussion of "Does dyspraxia affect you more as you age?" I believe this is a difficult question to answer since those with the condition are all affected differently. As we mature we (hopefully) find ways to cope and minimise or negate the effects. it's still present (lurking in the background) and can still make life difficult especially in stressful times/situations. Personally, I don't feel it is likely going to be at all easy to differentiate between 'wear and tear' (aka the ageing process) and increased effects of dyspraxia and I'm not aware of any specific research into dyspraxia and ageing and what the future holds.

It would be interesting to know why your BC-based neurologist has so little exposure to/awareness of the condition? This may be due to the path his career has taken and should not be inferred as a sleight against him.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I'm a perfectionist
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Thanks Tom, I trust him indeed, but cerious; although u know that saying "cerious killed the cat"
But I will never say he is not full of knowledge and can't help me . cuz he did pin point what's wrong. And dyspraxia was a side topic after more so.

Just this topic made me kinda cerious. Might be just over thinking as well lol, to write this in this topic post. If so apologies.

I think he was leaning toward head injuries or trauma, that dyspraxia could take place after; And it's uncommon out of his years practicing that he bumped into an idividaul that got born with it... nice guy though and knowledgeable.

Anyway happy holidays Tom, and the rest of the members on this forum.

If only they spend less money on war, and more money on support for health and nurolergical science. But to them war is science I guess. It's crazy what they passed and gave out to aid war recently.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome. No apologies required and nothing wrong with being curious. I actually think curiosity is very much in our nature though we sometimes need to make sure this hasn't led us too far away from what we need to be focused on. Sometimes it can be "aaarghhh why can't I think normally" but thinking differently isn't necessarily bad, in fact sometimes a different approach to the 'conventional' thinking is just what is required.

All the best for 2017
Tom
Moderator/Administrator