Dog walking

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickye
Power poster

Dog walking

Post by nickye »

Hi there
Sorry haven't posted for a long time and things have been going ok but I feel quite down about myself sometimes. I find that practical tasks and trying to get housework done are so hard for me. I don't really understand why but I can't seem to get half done what other people do and my mind gets into a muddle. If someone tells me what to do I will do it but I find it so hard to organise myself!! :D it sounds like an excuse but I find tidying up and atuff that like that really hard.

Recently we've got ourselves a dog, he's lovely, a border terrier who is nine months old. He's all house trained already and a really good dog, but I struggle with the dog lead, especially the extendable one. I always worry I can't control him properly and he'll hurt himself. I admit I am a bit paranoid about things like this but I do find them difficult and trying to explain to people the don't understand.

I wondered if anyone has any advice on any of these things. I find I'm panicking more and more. With practical skills if I can learn a skill off and it's repetitive like knitting then I'm fine but things where you have to react quickly are so hard and I end up feeling stupid. I do drive but have always has trouble judging distances although on local jrneys I'm fine. Some days I just feel like giving up I'm just so stupid. I know I shouldn't say this but I feel since I had my daughter who is eleven now and the dog that I have to t to cope with all these practical things that I spent my twenties avoiding. Now it seems that all the things are beyond me. ](*,)

Sorry this sounds negative I don't have a bad life at all but I do get depressed and anxious. My worries are getting out of hand and I don't like leaving th dog in how crate when I go out.

I'd really appreciate some advice about getting housework done etc and dog walking! This website is a life saver to me. At least I know I'm not alone!

Thanks again and hope you all having a good easter weekend
Nicky
pouvik
Regular Poster

Re: Dog walking

Post by pouvik »

How are you connecting the lead, is it to the collar, a halter, a muzzle etc?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there Nicky

There's absolutely no obligation to be a regular poster. Just as and when you need to/and when time allows.

Many of us and many others besides can find that things get on top of us. Could creating a routine be helpful. Create a timetable for yourself setting out what things need to be done each week and when. Don't panic if you cannot stick rigidly to it as sometimes other situations will require you to be flexible.

Your dog sounds like he has a very good nature. Do you have to use the extendable lead? could you have a lead you are comfortable with using for when you take him out. If he comes back when called is the extendable thing necessary? Could dog handling/agility classes help your confidence as much as providing exercise for him?

Hope these ideas give you some ideas that can work for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Nicky, I wouldn't worry about the extendable lead, the only thing you got to watch is that it doesn't go slack, my parents used to have a springer spaniel, and would have to take him out on a chock chain lead, he never learned the more you pull the tighter the lead would get around his neck.

so an extendable lead isn't a problem for the dog, or having it connected to a collar. just watch the lead doesn't get caught around the dogs neck though, is the best thing. as long as it isn't slack then not too much to worry about there.

as for house work, then I tend to avoid until really needs doing, but do try to do it weekly at least. as takes me such a long time to do it.

but the way my heart is, then I am exhausted after doing like the bath, the sink, or the toilet, or hoovering 1 room, so kind of glad that I can break it up into sections, and no-one is any the wiser!! lol

but yeah household chores do get the better of me. and the dyspraxic, and heart get the other side!! so end up battling a sinking ship every week.

just try not to let it get myself down, the cat looks after herself, so thankful for that at least. even if she does want my attention, or affection, or being with me in the kitchen, sorry I mean her wanting me in the kitchen with her while she has food!! lol.

but always check when I am in the kitchen that she always has food down, and as it is mixer then it never goes off, so can always top it up if it is low. and then she just helps herself when she wants some food, so no real food time for her, and she has treats before bed then.

but yes as Tom said we love to see returnees!! lol
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

hi Shadwell, Tom and Pouvik

Thanks very much for your kid replies. It is good to be back.

We use a harness most of the time now and either the extendable or shorter lead. Last night we all went to the dog training classes which were really good. Nice lady running it and friendly people so felt quite at home. My daughter seems better than any of us with it, although I found it really helpful. I think I just worry a lot when I am responsible for things and I can't relax. Although this can be good as I prevent accidents but not so good if I get too stressed. The dog trainer showed us how to try to get him to walk to heel which was good. We haven't let him off the lead much yet but he did come back when called. Think we need to keep practising.

I have always found it hard doing practical skills. Took me three years to learn to drive! When I get in a situation where I don't know what to do I sometimes find my mind gets in a complete muddle and I don't feel I'm actually there if you know what I mean. Is then I think an accident could happen. I sort of freeze. Sometimes I just have to keep going but it is very tempting to stay home and do nothing!

I will try to create a routine for housework. I always find tidying up hard but have been throwing out a lot of clutter recently. I feel so guilty letting go of things people especially family members have given me and have kept so many cards, letters, little leaflets, souvenirs etc! I am pleased when I've done it but get really emotional about it.

I have always felt a bit stupid so it's been so good to know about the dyspraxia. When I say stupid, the weird thing is I came top of my class at school in English and languages etc but couldn't ride a bike and got stuck with the most simple tasks, like opening a tin. I think I need to learn things in words, so things like driving and dog walking, which you have to be more intuitive about and feel your way I to, are reAlly hard.

I sometimes ink I take longer to react to things as I have to sort of translate them into words in my head. I didn't realise I did this and I'm probably not explaining myself very well but if I see a car indicating I will the. Think in words he's turning right. I don't do this so much as I used to but that's why it takes a long time to learn things. And getting anxious about it makes it worse.

Sorry for rambling on and I think I'm going to need to be more positive. When I was diagnosed with dyspraxia they gave me some exercises and possible people to contact so I need to get on and do that.

Thanks again for your help.

Nicky