muscle spasms in legs

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

stevieboi1983
New member - welcome them!

muscle spasms in legs

Post by stevieboi1983 »

Hi Steve here i have dyspraxia and was wondering is it normal to get spasms in your leg muscles and is this connected to dyspraxia?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: muscle spasms in legs

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forums (or fora)

Sometimes I manage to 'hyperextend' (I think that's correct way/word to explain it) my foot/ankle and get a painful knot in my calf (bit below the knee) that hurts like hell.

I did it one night in a tent at a festival and my brother thought a snake had bit me or something!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

actually I think it be prudent to ask is it when you move or just random ... aka when do you get it.
shisu
Getting settled in

Post by shisu »

Hi Steve,

I get spasms in the higher part of my legs sometimes, usually after sitting down for a while, not sure if it has anything to do with dyspraxia though, I guess if any more people come on here saying this there may be a link?.

:-k
Padfoot

Post by Padfoot »

Hey Steve,

"Certain neurones in the brain, called motor neurones, do not seem to develop and mature as quickly in someone with dyspraxia. As a result, they are not as effective in transmitting information from the brain telling the muscles to move."
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Dyspraxia.htm

Dyspraxic people often suffer from something I like to call the 'bambi effect' aha. I walk kinda funny! The way I walk put's strain on my legs and I often get spasms from a long day walking. As well as this if I go to the gym and do not focus on completing my workout properly and let my legs go limp and have an improper posture and stance I'll get really bad spasms. I do think it is linked personally and I'd suggest doing exercise as my Dr recommended. Strengthen your leg muscles. There could be absolutely no relation to you in this post but I hope it helps in some way! :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Steve

And of course don't be afraid to ask/talk to your GP about it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Post by gothicsmurf »

I sometimes get muscle spasms in my legs at night when I'm lying in bed. It usually causes a weird "crawling" sensation and can make my whole leg jump and jerk, similar to the symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome. It is really horrible and keeps me awake for ages :(
RichardY487
Getting settled in

Post by RichardY487 »

I quite often get both the knotting and spasms mentioned by people in this forum, my neurological consultant says it is perfectly normal, but is sending me for occupational therapy, hope thus helps
HelenS

Post by HelenS »

Could be worth trying taking a magnesium citrate supplement about an hour before bed. You might need more than the recommended dose though to have an effect as many people are low in magnesium (if you take too much your body gets rid of it - as you'll discover in the morning :Eek: )
dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

I get the occasional spasm of the leg, but for me I used to work in a job where I had to walk up to 20 miles per day, and yea it hurts at first but for me it was just about overcoming the issue. :Eek: :banana:
whitedwarf12

Post by whitedwarf12 »

I also got restless leg syndrome as a child. Usually in bed