Dyspraxia Awareness and confusion with dyslexia

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Dyspraxia Awareness and confusion with dyslexia

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

Hello.

This the following message to Disability office in Galway Ireland sound right or should I make some changes or additions in my message?

This message is sent as a response to the email notification of the event Disability Awareness week which is a part of explore and is taken place in my college NUIG Galway the republic of Ireland.

Thank you.

PS:

What are your perceptions of people, yourself and the world around you which you feel has been influence by Dyspraxia and how has Dyspraxia made you you do you think....

Hello

Amy here.

Is Dyspraxia mentioned in this?

I feel that there is not enough awareness and too much focus on Dyslexia which is probably the reason why there is lack of focus on Dyspraxia.

If it's not mentioned then I would like to contribute towards spreading the awareness of it and is it often gets confused with Dyslexia and many Dypraxics on youtube and Dyspraxic forums say that when they say they have Dyspraxia they get asked about Dyslexia and they say no that is not Dyspraxia and Dyspraxia is very differrent from Dyslexia and much more complicated than Dyslexia and there are myths of Dyspraxia too. As Dyslexia effects cvs, reading, writing and essays and grammar, Dyspraxia effects both that plus motor functioning which Dyslexic people do not suffer from coz people with Dyslexia strengthen in their motor abilities and gross skills, whereas this is a great weakness for Dyspraxics which causes a much greater problem in my opinion for society than Dyslexia coz there are addition problems and some similarities and diffferences. There are sever, mild and moderate Dyspraxia and Dyspraxia can also have additional problems such Dyslexia and ADHD. However Dyspraxia effects people differently depending on the level of motor damage but despite this there are some or few traits common in every Dyspraxic which is Dyspraxic related. So Dyspraxia is Dyspraxia and that's it. Dyspraxia is always a weakness in motor ability and that never changes but some areas of difficulty can improve but further research needs to be done as there is a huge consistent problem of lack awareness of what Dyspraxia is in Ireland as well as misdiagnoses - being told it is just depression or Dyslexia they have. There are worse conditions out there but my main focus is on Dyspraxia due to the fact that it makes every area in a persons life as well as creating misunderstandings of whether it is their character or Dyspraxia that is responsible for certain behavior so they may be classed as lazy, inconsiderate, inpolite etc and this happens when the brain does not pick up on clear instructions or has already a certain fixed believe about something for example Friday there is no lectures because it is the weekend, it is so convinced and then later it decides that there is a lecture but by the time the person gets that message it is too late, or forgetting you left something behind or not remembering where you put it or forgetting to even look at your diary or phone. That kind of thing.

Thanks for listening.

Regards.
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia Awareness and confusion with dyslexia

Post by Tom fod »

Amy

I'm sorry your message is a bit confusing and I felt you'd posted in the wrong place. I've created a new post here in Day to Day Living to ensure it gets seen. I'm sure people will have some interesting thoughts/points to make.

Personally, I think the trouble is that dyspraxia as a condition is just not easy to characterise. Other more ‘visible’ disabilities are much more clear-cut to the unaffected.

Even dyslexia, a hidden difference is more easily 'recognisable' to the non affected. Even so it is far more complex than bad spelling, poor reading /comprehension and writing. It does seem as though perhaps 50% of posters here on the forum are dyslexic as well as having dyspraxia/being dyspraxic.

Because more people are Dyslexic, and many who are, are in my experience often better at defining it and describing it there has been, better awareness, more research and thus more assistance is available

Little Miss Anxious wrote:Hello.

This the following message to Disability office in Galway Ireland sound right or should I make some changes or additions in my message?

This message is sent as a response to the email notification of the event Disability Awareness week which is a part of explore and is taken place in my college NUIG Galway the republic of Ireland.

Thank you.

PS:

What are your perceptions of people, yourself and the world around you which you feel has been influence[d] by Dyspraxia and how has Dyspraxia made you [missing word?] you do you think....
[is this the title for your email response below ?]

Hello

Amy here.

Is Dyspraxia mentioned in this?
[This perhaps reads as confrontational though I appreciate constantly feeling we are being overlooked can make us this way]

I feel that there is not enough awareness and too much focus on Dyslexia which is probably the reason why there is lack of focus on Dyspraxia.

If it's not mentioned then I would like to contribute towards spreading the awareness of it and is it often gets confused with Dyslexia and many Dypraxics on youtube and Dyspraxic forums say that when they say they have Dyspraxia they get asked about Dyslexia and they say no that is not Dyspraxia and Dyspraxia is very differrent from Dyslexia and much more complicated than Dyslexia and there are myths of Dyspraxia too. As Dyslexia effects cvs, reading, writing and essays and grammar, Dyspraxia effects both that plus motor functioning which Dyslexic people do not suffer from coz people with Dyslexia strengthen in their motor abilities and gross skills, whereas this is a great weakness for Dyspraxics which causes a much greater problem in my opinion for society than Dyslexia coz there are addition problems and some similarities and diffferences. There are sever, mild and moderate Dyspraxia and Dyspraxia can also have additional problems such Dyslexia and ADHD. However Dyspraxia effects people differently depending on the level of motor damage but despite this there are some or few traits common in every Dyspraxic which is Dyspraxic related. So Dyspraxia is Dyspraxia and that's it. Dyspraxia is always a weakness in motor ability and that never changes but some areas of difficulty can improve but further research needs to be done as there is a huge consistent problem of lack awareness of what Dyspraxia is in Ireland as well as misdiagnoses - being told it is just depression or Dyslexia they have. There are worse conditions out there but my main focus is on Dyspraxia due to the fact that it makes every area in a persons life as well as creating misunderstandings of whether it is their character or Dyspraxia that is responsible for certain behavior so they may be classed as lazy, inconsiderate, inpolite etc and this happens when the brain does not pick up on clear instructions or has already a certain fixed believe about something for example Friday there is no lectures because it is the weekend, it is so convinced and then later it decides that there is a lecture but by the time the person gets that message it is too late, or forgetting you left something behind or not remembering where you put it or forgetting to even look at your diary or phone. That kind of thing.

Thanks for listening. [or reading?]

Regards.

How about . .
Recognition and awareness of Dyspraxia

I feel that there is not enough awareness of dyspraxia and all too often, it gets confused with Dyslexia. This results in the difficulties associated with Dyspraxia being overlooked, misunderstood or completely forgotten.

I would like to contribute towards raising awareness of Dyspraxia.

Many Dypraxics who speak or write about the condition online including on YouTube and in Dyspraxic forums say that when they say they have Dyspraxia, they get asked about Dyslexia. They are then forced to try and explain that dyslexia is not the same as dyspraxia. Dyspraxia is in many ways very different from Dyslexia and much more complicated to try and explain. Whilst there are plenty of dyslexic myths, there are many myths about Dyspraxia too and it is just as much, if not more of a mystery to those without firsthand knowledge or experience of it.

The common perception is that Dyslexia affects reading, writing spelling and grammar, Dyspraxia can also affect a persons abilities here, but more often affects a persons fine and/or gross motor control. People with dyslexia alone might struggle with organisation, but generally have less tendency to have difficulties with fine or gross motor control. For those of us who are dyspraxic this area more often presents a more challenging level of difficulty with day to day activities,

There are common areas that affect both those who are dyslexic and those of us who are affected by dyspraxia. The severity and complexity of difficulties faced varies greatly and those with dyspraxia can often have other conditions including ADHD and Dyslexia.

The fact that these is a lot less awareness of and consequentially a lack of research into Dyspraxia has meant recognition is much more patchy. It is more often missed or dismissed. Those affected may be misdiagnosed and told they are just depressed or even that they are Dyslexic.

My main focus is on Dyspraxia because I’m personally affected and it causes me and others dyspraxics to experience a wide range of difficulties and challenges in a great many or every area of our lives.

Because, unfortunately, there is a great deal of misunderstanding, often the difficulties caused by dyspraxia are all too often wrongly interpreted as flaws in a persons character. Dyspraxia, dyslexia and many other disabilities and factors influence how a person is able to interact with others in society. Their reactions and behaviour may result in their being unfairly classed as lazy, inconsiderate, inpolite etc without proper in-depth analysis of why.

Sometimes our brains do not pick up or process instructions clearly and we might become fixated about something even though it is not necessarily correct. For example I might have the notion It’s Friday and that therefore are no lectures, because it’s the weekend, I’m convinced but then later I might realise that there actually is a lecture, By the time I’ve got this message it is too late! Other common examples of day to day difficulties include completely forgetting you’ve left something behind or not remembering where you put it in the first place. This might include completely forgetting to even look at your diary or phone.

Dyspraxia and Me by Abi Hocking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfbXEc3 ... e=youtu.be
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
HelenS
New member - welcome them!

Re: Dyspraxia Awareness and confusion with dyslexia

Post by HelenS »

It's scary when you email your disability advisor at uni about your dyspraxia and get a reply about dyslexia! :Eek: