Keeping your room tidy and clutter free.

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mopps
Getting settled in

Keeping your room tidy and clutter free.

Post by Mopps »

I don't know if anyone else has this problem atall and if they can tell me how they cope with it? But I have great difficulty in keeping my bedroom tidy.I make crafts cards,and jewllwery , which I enjoy very much. But I have great difficulty in keeping my room,and my craft cupboard,next to it in the hallway tidy and clutter free. From time to time I do have wee clear outs and give some items I am not using to someone who has young children or grandchildren. But after a little bit my bedroom and craft cupboard seem to get cluttered again even though I try very hard to keep them tidy.Can any one explain why I am like this please is it me or is it connected to my Dyspraxia,in some way? I did hear something recently about something called space awareness could it be connected to this or what? Sorry to bore you all again.

Many thanks everyone
Mopps
Gina Trent
Getting settled in

Re: Keeping your room tidy and clutter free.

Post by Gina Trent »

Hi, I have always been messy and unorganised. I never keep my bedroom tidy for long. I'm 24 and live with my boyfriend. Our bedroom Is Never tidy. I just have no organizational skills whatsoever. I will give it a really good tidy up once in a while and within a few days, the clutter appears. We have lack of space in our house too so that doesnt help, but I don't know where to start, or where to put it. I am bad for putting something important in a "safe" place thinking I will remember where I've put things, and when I come to find it, I can't for the life of me remember where I put it, and I end up making more mess than there was in the first place. Sometimes I get in a tizz and get frustrated.
Mopps
Getting settled in

Post by Mopps »

Thank You for your reply about keeping ones room tidy. After reading your reply
I do not feel to bad it just sounds like myself really I get so tired tidying up I have it not to bad looking then as You said ones gets cluttered up again. I as having a very good friend visiting me this afternoon so wanted to try to tidy my room up.I managed to tidy it up a a wee bit but don 't know how long it will stay like this. it but i have tired my best I feel. Thanks again for your supporting answer.

Mopps
Gina Trent
Getting settled in

Post by Gina Trent »

No problem, glad I can help. I've only been on this forum a couple of weeks, and it's comforting to know that we all share the same kind of problems. I've been reading through some other posts and it does make me laugh because I can relate to it, and I now know I'm not the only one :-) but, the tidyness thing, for me, if all else failes, I just shove stuff in a draw or a cuboard, and think..I'll deal with it later lol.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Yes me too, I sometimes seem to spend my life tidying! although I do find that clear boxes and labels help, I also like to have separate draws and shelves for different things... just so I can actually find some socks and under wear when getting ready for work but our house is still chaos I think my hubby gets frustated with me and my daughter who is equally untidy but hey hoh! I maintain that it makes me better at problem solving and being creative!
dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

snap! this sounds just like me! am constantly tidying my room, but the clutter is constant to.
Cerridwen
New member - welcome them!

Post by Cerridwen »

I think this problem boils down with the fear of forgetting something. I will make pile of stuff out in the open so as to not forget something, but then the ironic twist is that I forget about those piles. I find it really tricky with stuff on my desk, as I can never EVER clear it away in fears of forgetting something as silly as a pencil, letter or paint brush. That's the one thing that bugs me, I try so hard with my bedroom, but with my 'office' there's a no can do. I remember when my boyfriend tried to 'organise' my bookshelf, desk, sketch books and stuff without telling me, and I properly lost my mental sh*t. Luckily, I didn't shout at him, just silently screaming in the corner of the kitchen with my hands clutched on my head.
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

I have what I like to call 'a sustained amount of mess' in my room, for example I have a pile of books and assorted crap on chairs next to a small pile of clothes - however I actually like having a certain amount of clutter around me for some reason..