You know you're dyspraxic when

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

FAndrews
Power poster

Re: You know you're dyspraxic when

Post by FAndrews »

Jim wrote:That awful "Oh S&@t! I think I lost my wallet" moment where you're convinced you lost it out in public but it actually turns out to be in your coat pocket all along.
thats why i always keep my keys and wallet in the same pockets each time, i do it so often i find it worrying when they are in the wrong pockets. weird i know hehe
DanTheOutlaw
Getting settled in

Post by DanTheOutlaw »

You know you're dyspraxic when you're at work and you're buying something as it's quiet and no customers are around and when it comes time to enter your pin you say to your fellow co-worker who is serving you "Then if you'd like to enter your pin please."
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

When you're in Nandos and ask the waitress for 'the desert menu' when it's directly in front of your face and she just points to it and you're friend never lets you forget it.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Just come home and discovered that I left my door key behind... No one home, bugger.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Matt1988
Getting settled in

Post by Matt1988 »

Hey everyone this is my second post here. Anyway I have a few things to add to this list

You know you're dyspraxic when:-

Someone is trying to do you a favour and you don't realise until the next day or later.

You have haircut instructions for the barber written in your phone.

People constantly ask if you're ok in a way which makes it seem like you're not telling the truth when you say 'yes'.

You always have one sock pulled up and one down or one sock on and one off. You always roll your sleeves up because you can't stand them touching your wrists.

You start talking about something in a really fast manner, forget what you're point was and end up staring into space wondering what you could possibly have been wanting to say.

When you find yourself with your hands full (literally) and you then can't work out what your next move is so you freeze up and end up doing things in a really convoluted order or drop everything.
marymare
New member - welcome them!

Post by marymare »

You know you dyspraxic when:

You go to shopping with your jeans back to front (because you get they slight bigger than you need so you can put them on without worring about fastening and because you hate when they feel like they restricted you) and your t-shirt is inside out and you dont realise until you get that look
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Matt1988 wrote:People constantly ask if you're ok in a way which makes it seem like you're not telling the truth when you say 'yes'.
^this
Matt1988
Getting settled in

Post by Matt1988 »

I've got a new one from last Friday. Went to the freezer in our garage, got what I needed and went back in the house. Two days later, go to the garage and the freezer door is open. Chicken, sausages, bacon, vegetables, the lot of it are thawed out, Half the ice gone.

I refuse to get angry or blame myself or let others blame me because there is nothing I could have done about it. My mind goes blank in these instances. :(
mmcp

Post by mmcp »

You know your dysprasic when you lose 14 bank cards in one year and falling over fresh air constantly, forgetting what you were about to say all of the time and your in bed by 8xxx :banana:
Simon
Getting settled in

Post by Simon »

You open the door of the fridge, forget what you where going to get and then close the door with your head still inside. #-o

Can't stand repetitive noise like a clock.

You have developed kind of an stuntman tuck and roll reflex because falling so often.

You where surprised the insurance company wants to ensure your car, because they have a lot of bicycle accidents from you on file :)

You never wear white or light colored clothes because stains are to visible and might not be gone after washing them.

You ain't got no rhythm (walking behind somebody is very difficult, and I don't dance at all)

You have to sit down for putting on pants and socks (especially in the morning :) )

Some solutions for every day use:

For spilling drinks: at home I fill a smal glas and drink it, I do not walk around with drinks or take them to the livingroom for example.
At the workplace I only have drinks in a bottle with the cap on (mostly water because it doesn't stain)
For appointments:
I use gmail calendar because you can sync this on any device and also with somebody else's calendar like my girlfriends.
For notes and lists:
I use google keep, you can add checkboxes, take a picture, record sound
Time is something that may change me, but I can't change time so f*** it.
Loopy-Lu86

Post by Loopy-Lu86 »

Come out of a shop & go the way you have just come, really bugs me sometimes, lol.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

You go back to shop cause you have lost your some vouchers worth a tenner only to find them in your handbag!
Loopy-Lu86

Post by Loopy-Lu86 »

Get ready to go out with the family, its a masive rush out the door & then remember my phone, go looking for it & can't find it anywhere, ring it & its in my bag all along, opps.
griffaliff
Getting settled in

Post by griffaliff »

- Losing personal items (keys, wallet, phone etc) ALL the time.

- Spending half an hour, stomping around the house getting incredibly angry at yourself because you can't find said personal item, then finding it in the space where it should be in the first place.

- Forgetting things yet having a brilliant long term memory. Ie remembering the shoes and nail varnish design an ex girlfriends friend wore to a house party on the 3rd of January 2010 yet unable to recall something said to you seconds ago.

- Going into a room to fetch something and spending fifteen minutes in a daze, staring at the trees outside the living room.

- I don't know about others, but I can sleep for hours and hours no problem. Think 10+ hours if left to my own devices.

- Being told something important and zoning out at the most crucial moment of the conversation.
Samhain05

Post by Samhain05 »

When you lose track of a limb and only find it again when it hits something, like a doorframe or your sister's face. When most people end up with nicknames because you can only remember their face. (Which is kinda embarrassing when they ask who 'Mr Deja Vu' is, and you have to answer 'you' :whistle: ) When you open a spring-shut door, and get distracted so that the handle swings into your crotch with some force.