Panic Attacks

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucky Star
Getting settled in

Panic Attacks

Post by Lucky Star »

Today when I was getting ready to leave the house, I had a panic attack. My whole body trembled and I started to hyperventilate. I felt like I needed to escape; from what, I didn't know. But then when I tried to leave the bathroom, the door got stuck. I was home alone and terrified that something bad was going to happen to me if I didn't get out of the house. The door suddenly burst open and I shot out of the house feeling really shaken up. It's not the first time I've had one and I'm sure I'm far from alone.

Anyone else experienced one?
'Some people put me down,
Some people kick me around,
But believe me when I tell you
I'll be the one to rule this town.' - I'll Fly Higher by AcoustiMandoBrony
Creative
Super poster

Re: Panic Attacks

Post by Creative »

Yes I've had panic attacks before. Not very pleasant. Hope you are feeling better now.
TCE
Getting settled in

Post by TCE »

I get them regularly, they are terrible. This year has been the worse for them, sometimes I get a panic attack every day, and the hyperventilating comes on. The amount of times I've been to the hospital or have had an ambulance sent out to me is unreal. I've had ECG's, blood tests etc. and no signs of an unhealthy heart. They are really hard to control, and they always feel like a heart attack. Hope yours get better soon.
jimmy87notts
Getting settled in

Post by jimmy87notts »

Ive been having them on and off since i was a kid. Getting in the shower used to set mine off when water went over my face. They stopped for quite a while, 15 years more or less, but they came back after my grandad died. I was having upto 5 a day for a month or two. Apparently, Dyspraxics are prone to them due to the amount of information running around our heads. Its like our brains way of pushing the reset button.
TCE
Getting settled in

Post by TCE »

jimmy87notts wrote:Ive been having them on and off since i was a kid. Getting in the shower used to set mine off when water went over my face. They stopped for quite a while, 15 years more or less, but they came back after my grandad died. I was having upto 5 a day for a month or two. Apparently, Dyspraxics are prone to them due to the amount of information running around our heads. Its like our brains way of pushing the reset button.
Yeah, I've heard we are prone to them. I was seeing a counselor last year, but it didn't help. I was also on medication but that didn't help either.

I'm still getting awful anxiety attacks, and I'm not sure what's causing it. I've recently been seeing a counselor from Outlook, which you have to pay for but he's been really helpful thus far. He thinks I have panic disorder.

I would like to add, my anxiety issues - I get pretty much every sympton there is: heart palpitations, chest pain, pains all over, pressure head aches/temple aches, numbness, shaking, heavy breathing, dizziness, startled awake when asleep...

I used to be a heavy class A drug user, was a cocaine addict for 5 years and was put into rehab. Also have dealt with ketamin regularly, and MDMA, speed and pills. I'm 25 now and haven't touched any class A drugs since August. Obviously for us dyspraxics, that isn't a good route to go down when our brains are already suffering in a sense.

I feel when I suffered my first major panic attack Dec. 2012, it was all down to drugs. I slowly got off of them, and managed to officially kick my habit in August. Since then, I've heard us dyspraxics are prone to anxiety.

I'm gradually getting better, well at least I hope I am. It's taking a long time though, but I'll get there. Stay strong to who ever is having panic attacks, and don't use class A drugs... evil!!
heathy555
Getting settled in

Post by heathy555 »

yes i have panic attacks when i have them it wakes me up n i shake vigerously and i cant hold anything and i cant eat anything mine usual last all day.
Carrimac
New member - welcome them!

Post by Carrimac »

I didn't know Dyspraxics were more prone to them than others, I've had them for about seven years fairly frquently and they are horriffic. Stress makes them worse obviously but no real trigger - its such hard work keeping it controlled! Then tiresness makes it worse so its a vicious circle!
ellsbells48
New member - welcome them!

Post by ellsbells48 »

jimmy87notts wrote:IApparently, Dyspraxics are prone to them due to the amount of information running around our heads. Its like our brains way of pushing the reset button.

Thanks for this explanation jimmy87notts - it seems to make a lot of sense to me, I had always suspected having dyspraxia made you more prone to anxiety and panic, and your explanation really makes sense.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I'm haveing shuts down panic attacks or a action trimmers frequently now , I could control them in the paSt but now I'm feeling more and more prone , I'm in a verge of one big one soon. My long term is trying to make a disicion on keeping me on benifits or not, and it's taking so long to for them to make a disicion. I'm overwhelmed I'm forgeting to eat or have regular meals everyday. It's not helping my depression at all. I go take showers 20 min to ease off the attacks. Pacing around alot and now recieving pains in nerve systems for over tensing muscles . I feel your pain . And people look at me and say your fine u smile a lot but jyst a mask I'm afraid . Keep telling myself there is people having worse days , but then I get angry at my self thinking how come I am feeling this way if u have all my limbs Contact and I'm healthy Sept for this depression . I hate being dyspraxic but only life I know. And what set it off and made it come back is ignorence at my work site . Simple as that maDE me so complicated now for a while now
KirbyKitty
Getting settled in

Post by KirbyKitty »

Yes, I've experienced this. I feel mine stem from erratic thoughts from someone I am close to.
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

Is there a difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks? What constitutes one precisely, and how do I know if I've had one?
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi
According to the NHS
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anx ... tacks.aspx

A panic attack is a rush of intense psychological and physical symptoms. These symptoms of panic can be frightening and happen suddenly, often for no clear reason.

Anxiety Attack seems to be an alternative name for the same sort of thing though it is no doubt debatable and both are relative to an individual i.e. your idea of what a panic attack is, how it might affect you personally and the typical triggers could well differ from others.

Hope this goes some way to answering your question?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

Tom fod wrote:Hi
According to the NHS
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anx ... tacks.aspx

A panic attack is a rush of intense psychological and physical symptoms. These symptoms of panic can be frightening and happen suddenly, often for no clear reason.

Anxiety Attack seems to be an alternative name for the same sort of thing though it is no doubt debatable and both are relative to an individual i.e. your idea of what a panic attack is, how it might affect you personally and the typical triggers could well differ from others.

Hope this goes some way to answering your question?
Great, thank you!
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.