Hypersensitivity

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

OCDyspraxic
New member - welcome them!

Hypersensitivity

Post by OCDyspraxic »

I have always found myself to have an intolerance in day-to-day living and find great discomfort in the following things;

Bright lights particularly spotlights.

Cannot bear my fingernails to grow long, I always clip them very short.

I always have to have a close crewcut as I cannot tolerate the feel of my hair being any longer.

Can never wear a shirt's top button fastened.

Need to wear glasses for shortsightedness but the ONLY type I can wear are the ultra light Swiss Flex as I find them comfortable.

Cannot bear the feel of restrictive jewellery such as rings, bracelets or chains and can just about tolerate wearing a wristwatch.

Always feeling hot

Need to sleep in pitch darkness and dead silence

I find dressing smart physically uncomfortable and prefer to be in soft tracktrousers and t-shirts.

Is this an obsession with comfort or signs of marked dyspraxia because I have heard that dyspraxics are often hypersensitive?
AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: Hypersensitivity

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think that sensitivity to certain textures is definitely a sign of dyspraxia rather than OCD. Tactile sensitivity is very common in people who have dyspraxia, and what you have said about not liking bright lights is probably a sign of problems with sensory processing (which is also common in people with dyspraxia). It's interesting that you have mentioned preferring to wear comfortable clothes rather than smart ones because that is something which a lot of people with dyspraxia would agree with you about. Unfortunately, it is also the reason why we can stand out as being 'scruffy' in the workplace because our need to wear clothes which feel comfortable (and are easier to put on) overrides the expectation from colleagues that we should be dressing a certain way at work.
minilin
New member - welcome them!

Post by minilin »

I'm with you on total darkness and silence when sleeping. If it's really windy or there is a dripping tap or people outside I can never get to sleep. Sleeping in student halls used to be a nightmare for me, my room was right above the laundry room. Could hear tumble dryers and washing machines going most of the night! Had to resort to ear plugs just to get a bit of sleep :/

I also do not like it when there is a lot of sound all at once, makes me want to withdraw sharpish >.< Hate being in a class room with other people all shouting and talking over each other :( Actually I'm sensitive to a lot of noises really :/
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

The discussion sounds a lot like people have sensory processing disorder you may all like to have a look at the the sensory integration network's website or/and their facebook page http://www.sensoryintegration.org.uk/ you may also find that finding something that is physically hard work ( I melt down without my weekly swimming sessions) may help you to cope with the maddening sensations, as may weighted stuff and lycra underwear with the labels cut out basically deep touch and sensations from your muscle stretch receptors is calming because it has a more direct path to your cortex (higher brain) where as light touch (labels that annoy the hell out you) has more connections in your preconscious brain making it more arousing and increasing difficulties in concentration hope this does not sound too jargony and helps some!
Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Post by Welshcakes11 »

I don't like bright lights they make my eyes water so much that I need to close them, not good when your driving in winter sun and the ground is reflecting the light coz it's wet from the rain, can be quite scary even with sunglasses. I don't like strong smells, especially perfum in shops, it gives me headaches, I have a week stomach and certain bad smells turns my stomach, not good, lol. For a girl I can be quite scruffy, I've no style at all and I always dress down, maybe it's because I have no confidence in what suits me, I rarely where make up, thank goodness work doesn't permit makeup or jewelley, my hair is always pulled back coz it's easier. I've read that IBS can be related to Dysbraxia not sure if it's true but I have it and also theres a possibility I have milk intolerance ( lactose ) I now drink soya and my stomach is better then what it was.