Trying to slow down

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

drgreen
New member - welcome them!

Trying to slow down

Post by drgreen »

My worst problems have come after starting a family. When i lived on my own i put a lot of effort into organising my envoironment for simplicty and easy memory. Now i live wih 4 others and at times its hell. If im not treading on a childs toy im walking into the edge of a partly open door or moving suddenly to avoid somehing that i have spotted but then bumping into something that i havent seen.
The worst characteristic for me is not seeing things till it is too late to act. In fact there is much evidence that i just don't see as much as most people do, i only know things in my environment from memory. When i usedto be able to control my environment i coped albeit with a lot of preparatory work; sport for example is impossible for me, by the time i start running to get a ball it is somewhere else.
Now with a family and so much changing around me i have to force myself to slow down and focus, not talk to anyone while i am in motion, then its ok. Trouble is i cant slow myself down, there is always too much to do for that luxury, and even when i do slow down i still don't see things. Accidents happen when all seems ok and i am knto the flow of something then a chair happens to be inmy way and i dont see it. I walk into people in the street but reckon in that case it takes two to tango. At home though i should be more careful but can't keep up with a changing environment.
How do i learn to know when to slow down and focus my attention?
tara
Getting settled in

Re: Trying to slow down

Post by tara »

Hi

I am like that as well... There is always so much going on around me. I get through and THE ONLY way I get through it is by blocking everything and everyone out of my mind. I TRY to pay more focus to the task in hand... I can only do one thing at a time. This also all started with me when I began my family, had house, full time degree kids and husband to look after its a massive task!!!

I know it sounds horrible but I just ignore everything and focus on the essentials!!

The food bringing and taking the kids to school on time! my uni! my deadlines for uni and such! my house is a site but I dont care as long as the kids are healthy and I can get the important stuff done. I give no care about who thinks what about me or my house.

Reason being that they are not treading my path! I am! So the advice I would give is that focus on what is important to you. Dont let your self get over whelmed by loads of house work or washing clothes. I have always got the clothes the washing bin... but I make sure that come Monday morning the children have clean clothes.

Tara