Dyspraxia and rowing

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

sarforachat
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia and rowing

Post by sarforachat »

In spite of finding coordination and learning body movements very hard I joined a rowing club in the summer and I have been trying to learn to row. I enjoy it but the problem is I am getting increasingly frustrated with my inability to do it and because it involves being in a boat with other people I am very aware of being a hindrance. I have told the coach I am dyspraxic but she isn't really sure how to help me. I'm no quitter and I really want to master this - I know it will be a lot harder than for other people but I'm confident if I put the time in I will get there- eventually!

Is there anyone else who has learnt a new sport that involves learning patterns of body movement who might have some tips on how to help my brain to process what I'm supposed to be doing? I wasn't diagnosed until about 2 months before I left University and until then I just thought I was very clumsy and uncoordinated so I'm still learning about how I can make things easier for myself!
Jim
Super poster

Re: Dyspraxia and rowing

Post by Jim »

Simply in that the more you do it then the more your body & brain will become accustomed to it.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am not a rower myself, I have done some 'rowing' on the machine a fue times and that was fine but i am sure being in a boat is a different thing.
I have heard that rowing can really help dyspraxics and dyslexics as it helps to improve your focus on coordination and balance but i think it will take time, practices is what it needs and as your probably know it will take longer for you then others who aren't dyspraxic

how have you found the rowing machine - maybe more time on this could help.
The real Mr Potato Head
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I kind of may have rowed a rubber dingy once in my youth and probably badly.

Apart from that I ave a rowing machine which I haven't used in a while because of the nerve problems in my neck and shoulders, but it's a really good exercise to do as it works out the entire body. Have to be careful though as technique is important and sometimes as a Dyspraxic it's difficult to co-ordinate your actions (yes even on your own!) and I ended up really badly straining my abdomen once.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
rohan
Getting settled in

Post by rohan »

Hi,

I'm dyspraxic and rowed a lot in school and University. I don't know how much it helped my dyspraxia, but once you have good technique on the ergo/concept 2, doing long sessions at a slower pace will give you more rhythm. Yes, it is harder to master the integration of your rowing with that of the team, but it does come with time.

:)
rohan
Getting settled in

Post by rohan »

Also if you can get out in some of the sculls, then you will advance in getting a feel for the boat.
MaroonedinMonkeyland
New member - welcome them!

Post by MaroonedinMonkeyland »

I'm not at all a rower, but had been inclinded to use the rowing machine when I used to gym a few times a week (this was 2 years ago) and beat personal bests etc.

Recently though when I did a Sailing Certificate I was asked to do a dinghy trial! OMG there is such a disparity between strength in both of my arms though, I am definitely overly dominated by my right arm, I managed in teh end but had to do a weird ratio of two strokes with the left to one with the right!!. The same goes for eating actually, definitely have some weird fork habits.

Is it perhaps about the fine movements in your wrist and "locking" your arm into place? Maybe you could combat this by trying to work out your own rowing rhythm (in a kayak) OR by improving co-ordination between your own two arms before you try and conform to their rhythm.

Personally I would like to get back into practising my R+L drum rudiments on my pearl masters snare drum and maybe go out kayaking with friends before trying to conform to rowing in a big team. It's all about fine tuning, joining a rowing team seems a big leap to take definitely, and then theres the immense stamina to adjust to HAHA