Help!!!! I have a fear of heights

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Help!!!! I have a fear of heights

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

I am 25 and have mild Dyspraxia which effects my motor and gross skills such as spatial awareness, position and balance and I am quite scared of heights but want to get rid of it.

I am going on a college trip tomorrow afternoon to do tasks which are either 200 or 20 meters high in the trees and they include balance tests.

I would regret not attempting it and overcoming my fear of heights. I don't like being so far up and falling so far down or losing control of myself.

I need your advice please soon.

Thanks for listening.

WB.......
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help!!!! I have a fear of heights

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Amy

Did you go and how was it? Would have liked to have answered this in time but have had Man Flu! Anyway just in case it helps others . . .

I'm wary of heights but want to reassure you about your 'tree top adventure'. First I would say It's more than likely to be 20m rather than 200. I went with people from my work to Go Ape near where I live. My first fear was about the rope ladders but that turned out to be a unfounded. They will most likely take you on a lower level practice course first so you get a feel for what it involves and to check you and they are happy you know how to hook up. You probably won't be the only one who is nervous but trust your harness and enjoy the experience. You don't have to look down and there is usually an easy and a more advanced route.

I managed it though I was tired and slept well when I got home. (think part of stress was because I'd been responsible in some of the planning for the trip.Since then I've done ziplining in BC Canada and that was much higher up though harnessing was much more serious - a hangliding bodysuit affair.

Anyway Hope you did go and that you enjoyed it.

Tom x
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Hi Amey - I hope it went ok and it wasent as bad as you thought :bumps:

Tom's right it wont be 200 feet up, more like 20 or less but I agree it can be daunting being even at that hight.

For future refrance my advice to you had I repplied / been on the forum sooner would be;
As a student and crew member in the entertainment industury as a lighting tech I have worked at hight quite a fue times so I do understand what its like - my advice to you would be:
- Know, be familiar and understand what to do with the equipmnt your given. - I.e. harnis, thing to clip onto items (lanyars) and really have a good understanding of this as not only is this vital for safty but if you have a fear of hights then the more confidence you have in it then the more confidence you are lickly to have in yourself.
- Start on the samller and lower aspects first - if you want to move up then do so but dont feel presheherd into it.
- Practis a lot on ground level with the equipment and what you will be doing - even if it meens doing more then everyone else.
- You will be trained properly by the staff and they wont let you go up there if they feel your unsafe or if things arnt working - you are in safe hands at the place.
- The main thing is to consintrate (as best you can) on what you doing, have fun and hopefully it will really help with your fear of hights.
The real Mr Potato Head
tomjerry899
New member - welcome them!

Post by tomjerry899 »

Working at heights has always some danger in it. So we have to do this work with safety. In training there is always need some tips to use in danger time. We always have to fallow some rules & regulation for safety purpose.
yellow card training Brisbane