how difficult is it to follow instructions

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

wendel
Getting settled in

how difficult is it to follow instructions

Post by wendel »

Hi,
I find it really hard to follow even the most basic instructions but I'm told everyone does that.
I kind of doubt thats true because it does seem to be harder for me than for neurotypical people.
I'm dyspraxic, Dyslexic and have ADD
Not sure wheter it's an attention thing...
Last edited by wendel on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I have trouble with that too. It does my head in cause I have to read the most simple of stuff over n over again just to get something right, step by step.
I also write lists of instructions for myself tho, if I learn somethin new on say the computer for example. It does my head in a bit but it helps me remember what to do, save keep on n on asking people to remind me. I have ADHD too, mildly, as well as dyspraxia, so maybe its attention probs mixed with short term memory probs.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

wendel
Getting settled in

Post by wendel »

I have to write it all down too otherwise I'd definitly forget.
Once I've written something it becomes a Lot clearer.
My list of instructions at work is probably quite funny to anyone else .
It includes things like have you opened the door (in the morning)
have you taken the answephone of divert. I forget otherwise.
I'm very good at colourcoding and organising stuff
but then it all goeas to pot afterwarths when i forget the systems i've come up with and lose the things I need .like when my coursework ended up in my washingbasket. I must have put it there but I don't remember
Does anyone else's stuff end up in weird places?
Do you lose like some stupid nr of pens at work or uni?
in my old job they rationed pens
Probably my fault O:)
robyn

Post by robyn »

I need simple instructions written down and in a linear order, otherwise I get far too lost over far too many things!
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I'm terrible at following instructions, but fantastic at following algorithms. I'm told that all people who work with computers get like this, but I think I started working with computers because this made me good at it.

Instructions must be completely nonambiguous. I once got paralysed at a store because I'd been sent to "buy mushrooms" and I didn't know how many were needed. Apparently this is a perfectly simple instruction that anyone should have been able to follow and I was daft for bringing back completely the wrong amount.

There's a dorktower cartoon where Ken is trying to cook a meal from a packet and is on a constant rant about the instructions. Matt and Carson chat about how hard it is for rules lawyers to live in the real world. The rant seemed very fair to me "A spoonfull? What sort of a spoon? A teaspon? A tablespoon? Should the spoon be flat or lumped? It makes a difference you know! My meal could be ruined by this, it'd have taken one word to specify but Noooo. What? And what's this? A dollop! Now that's a scientific measurement"
wendel
Getting settled in

Post by wendel »

yes know what you mean.
I don't think its reasonable at all to be told to go out and buy some mushrooms. you need to know how many you need.
Off course people aren't always that good at giving instructions so you have to get good at asking questions sometimes instead.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

My (totally non dyspraxic) fella says that I think of possibilities and options where most people just wouldn't see em. Like the musroom thing. I totally get that, I mean, u can buy em in tins, fresh, dried etc etc. My fella would just go buy some mushrooms. Simple as that.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

robyn

Post by robyn »

yeah thats what i do too, there are allways just so many options and I cant plan the outcomes, so decisons of any sort are horrid for me. I def need lists for shopping
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I didn't know you could get them any way other than from the stand at the fruit&veg store. I guess it's a good thing I didn't :P

When I was a kid I got yelled at all the time for "being clever" and getting things that technically fit the description I was given but were fundementally useless for the purpose for which they were intended.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I basically don't follow instructions.... at least not if I can help it.... I hate putting flat packs together and try and rope in the nearest male who is available to do it.... which is not easy when there is no fella in tow!! I find that If I have to follow instructions I do things my own way which at least from the catering point of view is great as I just chuck things together...
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Try using actual rope - much easier :P

I find flatpacks okay because the instructions are generally unambiguous and sufficiently detailed. Maybe that's just me :S
earok
New member - welcome them!

Post by earok »

When I was a kid i'd always find myself lagging behind the rest of the class if we were doing some kind of activity, whether it be cooking or wood work or something as simple as cutting shapes out of paper. Thats not exactly a problem anymore though..

Also sometimes ask for clarification on a really simple instruction or ask "how" when confronted with a really simple task. I can't think of any examples now though.

Whats a 'flat pack'? whatever it is it sounds useful.
Erik Hogan
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Greg, are you volunteering??????? :) :)

A flat pack tends to be a peice of furniture or item which you have to put together yourself... which in my experience always ends in disaster...

[/quote]
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Yeah why not, but I don't like travelling so you have to bring it to me and take it back assembled.

That kinda ruins the point of a flatpack doesn't it?

I like flatpacks, everything is predesigned to go together in just the right way, there are exactly the number of peices you need and it's all measured out perfectly. On the other hand if you give me a saw some timber and a hammer&nails I'll just run screaming. In a masculine way of course.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

If I end up working with a saw, wood and nails. I would end up with something very rickerty looking like "a house of cards" which would collapse in a heap in 30 sec flat... My father laughs his head off just to watch me try and do DIY... but I guess thats because I am a girl and have no clue...

Where abouts are you based??? I may take you up on the very kind offer... for now you are safe as I have no IKEA nearby, so know where to buy any furniture!!!