how difficult is it to follow instructions

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

GWhizz
Regular Poster

instructions

Post by GWhizz »

I find it hard following my dad's intructions in lists Do that and when you finish that can you do this and people get frustrated when I say what do I do then? #-o it's hard with jobs too when working not just domestic tasks
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I don't think it's cause you're a girl, people laugh at my attempts at DIY just as much & of all the people I know the best at DIY is a girl called Marie.

I remember in GCSE DT my project was so poorly made my DT teacher told me to scrap it and bring him some new designs. So I spent the next couple of lessons on design work again and when I showed them to him he said that it was too late to start with a new design. So I couldn't carry on with the old one or do a new one, I just hid in the room every lesson from then until the end of term hoping he didn't ask any questions about what I was doing :S

I'm based in Birmingham, more specifically in Selly Oak. There's an ikea near here :P I'd have thought trying to transport an assembled flatpack would be impractical, but if you think you can make it cost/time effective then I'm sure I can spare an afternoon sometime.

GWhizz, do you mean physical lists or verbal lists? I've got no problems with a list of instructions on a peice of paper, but when I get an oral list I get all confused and by the time they're at the end of it I forget what the first thing was.
GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

I'm a guy. I get confused with verbal lists too! I say "What's the first one again" and people go "Grr! He doesn't listen" All My DT projects were rubbish except my last ones.

I'm not sure if i'll be able too as I am unemployed and broke. Although I do, do quite a bit of volunteering. As A dj on a youth radio internet radio called youthcomm and a youth worker hard work and a helpline busy busy busy
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I am glad I just got lumbered with home economics at school.... no DT projects for me!!! Explains my lack of skill... in this area!

I think it was mean of your DT teacher to say it was to late to continue....

Birmingham happens to be one of my favorite places... as the Cadbury's World factory is up there =P~ though I do not get up there very often as I live on the South coast.... also slightly off their choc @ mo due to their recent problems.

Thank you for the offer for help!!!
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

GWhizz, I wasn't questioning your gender, that bit was a response to Liz comment "My father laughs his head off just to watch me try and do DIY... but I guess thats because I am a girl and have no clue... " and if Liz is a bloke then I'm going to lay into his father for lumbering him with that name :P

Liz, Cadburys world is a bad place for chocoholics like me. They sell chocolate in boxes of 100! How is anyone human to survive such a trip? In my view Cadburys is a base chocolate, something to eat a few hundred grams of in a day but something nicers required for any sort of chocolate requiring occasion (be it sadness or joy) Green & Blacks milk is good because it's somewhere between milk and dark and I can't find that flavour anywhere else. Guynalin (sp?) are tastey. Thortons are variable, but if you stick to the truffles they do a very good job...I'm not an addict, I can stop in 2 of the 3 tenses.
GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

mmm chocolate... :rofl:
josiejo31
Getting settled in

Post by josiejo31 »

my boss thinks im totally mad becasue i ask wheer a sack of food is in the store room and then can never rememeber where he told me to look!!!
I have a very wobily set of drawers in my room as a result of a flat plack, my family all think it is hilarious becasue i dont like to admit it went wrong! my head tells me i can do it but then my hands screw everyhting up!
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Hi Guy's...

Last time I looked I was definately a girl!!! And not a sex change in sight!!!

I have to admit in Portsmouth we have a Gunn Wharf Keys and they have a Cadbury's shop, Thornton's and Whitards.... So spoilt for choice for what to eat in the Chocolate department... Thorntons do a lovely nougat basket filled with choc's which I have to admit is a favourite of mine... but only get on special occassions...
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Don't be so sure you could recognise a sex change by sight. Medical science just keeps getting better and better.

Mmm special occasions thorntons, I love the caramel eggs they do at easter :D
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I will go and try one.... when easter gets here...
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

On the original topic, I just have trouble with directions sometimes if I don't hear them slowly enough. I try to use a taperecorder in class and usually that helps me to remember what I need to do for a certain homework project or paper.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Riddles
Getting settled in

Post by Riddles »

with regards to instructions, if people are going to give them to me, then i live by the acronym Keep It Simple Stupid (Kiss), if people say more than two steps, (short steps) then I get lost and confused, and I hate it, I always forget instructions so sometimes I get them to write it down for me, but not too many because I'd get lost in the words.

its all very bizarre
helenahelen
Getting settled in

Post by helenahelen »

I find this so hard. Anything that requires assembly - Ikea flatpack etc - or anything that requires sonnection - plug wiring, lightbulb changing etc - I can't do. But what really helps is writing it down. Forgot verbal instructions or natty little diagrams, when it's in words on a page, it gets easier. A sort of inverse dyslexia, perhaps?
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

i hate, hate, hate verbal instructions!

i annoy people so much, which i find upsetting, because i have to ask people to repeat things again and again, and then i still forget them!
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

verbal instructions are the worst.i always get really anxious about forgetting them. when i had my assesment the ed psych said that my brain is basically like a really good pc with a really bad processor. unfortunatly there's no upgrades for brains!