Tenancy problems help......

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Tenancy problems help......

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

What can I do to help myself and fight for my rights in the republic of Ireland?

I have been in a flat for 6 Months, September 2011 - April before the 8th April. There was a broken window in my bedroom and I had no fire blanket and the flat was not 100 percent perfect in condition.

I have never met the Landlord or Landlady.

December on a Wednesday, I had to put 6euro and 8 euro on top of 4euro to make my electricity last the whole day and night, whereas 2 euro lasts me a whole day and a morning. Before I put in my 6euro I made sure that only the lamp and my laptop was on in my bedroom because it went off when the other lights were on. You could say it was the immersion but I accidentally left the immersion on for 5 hours once and when I came back, the immersion was still on and my electricity lasted at least a day or so except for those two days but only have a recollection of one of the days. My next door neighbour and one man retired from the Esb and a man who used to work with heating, said that the setting on my meter was wrong. I informed my agent but he said twice and or three times that he could see nothing wrong with it and made excuses so when a cupboard handle came off, I didn't inform to avoid him making excuses again, putting it on me the tenant. I told others just. I almost got stuck in the shower, one of the screws on the shower were out I think, I was crying for 5 minutes because the shower door wouldn't open up. Before the cupboard handle came off, I noticed a crack but before that noticed indent marks on more than one handle, 3 at least. I have been accused of breaking those handles which absolutely discusses me and I made no fuss about it because I thought it was just a handle and another friend of mine made no fuss and said I shouldn't either.

My next door neighbour said he found allot of flaws where I live which was the reason why he moved out And he pointed out the flow in my meter. He also has the same agent and told me to be very weary of him. I am tired of hearing excuses from my agent when I inform him of a problem so for that reason I stopped calling him, I am tempted to get really violent with him right now but don't want to do that.

Btw, there were blinds that wouldn't work properly. The top window in the kitchen wouldn't open.I haven't ye returned the keys because I didn't want to hand them to him and didn't hear from him or anyone about the keys until I was told that 100euro has been taken off me because of that and 100euro for cleaning to please despite it being cleaned several times. They lost two weeks rent they said.

I was too laid back and didn't think this would be used as a weapon against me so I didn't take notice or inform him or make a fuss because I thought I wouldn't get as good as a flat as this. I may have caught my foot on something on the wood in my bedroom, am not sure, I was walking on my bedroom floor and felt something prick my foot and realized it was something like a torn.

Honestly I would say that place is falling apart and it has nothing to me.I did clean and tidy it regularly except for the odd time which happened a bit recently due to family problems and exam stress and lack of time due to being away from the flat or having people over or spending time with people so yes I confess I neglected it for a bit. I was looking after my flat though. Sometimes other things come first for the time being, my head was all over the place. There were also times when he came into the flat and it was tidy and clean.

Thanks for listening.

WB................
Amy Conway
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Tenancy problems help......

Post by Tim G »

Well the flat is clearly falling apart and you shouldent feel gulty for it or like its your fault beceuse it just isent - you dident cause this it was there before and also people before you had the same issues.
How did you get hold of the flat - who did you go through - agent, mate if you went to a agent then talk to them about it and demarnd that they sort it out, its there job and legalitie. If you don't know who is in charge then work back through the links you went through to rent the flat.

When I was at my student house I never met the landlord as such but the agent as the land lord let the agent take 'care' of it unforantly unless you have a really good agent or landlord you really have to push and demarnd to get what is required as they are often quite reluctent to do anything.

If the person in charge of the house dosent want to budge or is being diffcult look into the laws consirning this and threaten them with this - there is nothing like the law to shock them. However this is a big step which does require a lot of reashearsh and exactly knowing your rights etc.
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

It was the agent. Never met landlord nor landlady.

what is the law and how can I get my rights.....

I have no photos and don't have any flaws from the flat written down.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I don't know your exact rights as such but I am sure you are well withen your right to compalne and push for the nessary repars to be made so the house is safe and also better to live in.
I am sure there are laws consirning this but this is somthing you could go to the CAB about (I don't know if they are in Irland) and ask about what your rights are exactly.

If your going to talk to the agent about this - I would really suggest writing down the issues, taking photos and also try to get the agent to have a look at the house and asscess what needs doing.
Have then all in formal writing and give them to the agent and keep a copy - that way there is phisicial evendece to show you have notified the agent of the issues.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

the advice to go to Citezen's Advice is good.

Tim G. I am not sure if you read either this or earlier posts, but LMA has said she moved out of the Flat/Appartment, so not sure what she can do about photo's, and stuff, but if you got friends or something that have been to the Flat LMA, maybe they could vouch for it not being in a suitable condition when you moved in.

also if you got a phone bills of when you phoned the Agency for repairs etc, or written confirmation to repairs etc. then that would be advisable to take with you to CAB to backup your disagreement with the agency.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

as for previous tennants in that flat, then don't take their word that they will back you up, especially if they are still under the same agent. as it is kind of conflict of interest, and as a result the Agent might find ways to kick them out of their properties.

so you need someone impartial to back you up like someone from the College or Uni. someone with nothing to loose from it.