Fear of the doctor

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

hanna
Getting settled in

Fear of the doctor

Post by hanna »

i'v got the weirdest fear of going to the doctor and i dont have a clue why.When i was little i used to have to be held down to stop me kicking my poor doctor.now i just cant bring myself to go and if i book an appointment i will be worrying about it for the days before and then when i get there i cant explain whats wrong with me.i have tried writing a list of what i need to say but forget it when i get there or i just cant get the words out.dose anyone have any advise???
molsonsnobunny
Getting settled in

Re: Fear of the doctor

Post by molsonsnobunny »

The best advice I can give is take a few deep breaths and if you forget bring the paper with you, and read it word from word or give it to your doctor to read. Keep telling yourself that the doctors job is to HELP you, not to hurt...
I'm struggling with trying to explain my problems with dyspraxia, so i'm booking an appointment for next week, and keeping a journal persay of my difficulties I deal with. That way I don't forget what to say.... I constantly have to remind myself that they're only here to help me, i'e never been fond of doctors at all...
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Fear of the doctor

Post by Tim G »

I can understand if your tired of wrighting lists but in some ways if that helps you and is the best way then stick to it. - Its the same with me I find it really hard to comuacate things and I have to take folders of infomation on whats been going on, what was said etc when i see my docters, phyc, OT etc.
If I don't have this info then it really dosent work and I don't get anything out of the session.

About your fear of docters - I think that for now the thing to do is to talk to the surgary (idealy your GP) and say that your feeling like this and hoefully they can explane whats going on and rationilise thing better.

In the long term you really have to ask yourself and focus on what exactly your fearfull about and think through as calm and as reasonable as possable - hopefully this can help you rationilise the situation.
The real Mr Potato Head