bbq

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ruth
Power poster

bbq

Post by Ruth »

well today is the day of my big bbq! I have 38 friends and family arriving in 6 hours for food and fun.

I AM FREAKING OUT!!! why did I say I'd do this? It was entirely my idea - it's like my birthday party ( birthday was in may...!) so I'm coming here for understanding and hopefully reassurance!!!!

because I'm stressed I'm being really clumsy - I've already broken a mug burnt myself on the toaster and spilt coffee all over the floor. And I can't keep ANYTHING in my head :*(

so I can either

1. cancel - seems a very attractive option
2. ask for help - aarrgh no too hard
3. make lots of lists and wear myself out and be stressed and unhappy
4. not worry so much and then fly to the moon ( one as likely as the other)
5. explode
6. run away - ooh sounds nice

right. It really does help writing it down. I am going to write lists of all the things left to do and allocate people to do them - includung asking for help

wish me luck. xxx
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I would suggest roping in a few people to help and sitting down with a nice cold glass of wine and enjoying the company of the people you are with, if things go pear shaped don't worry, your friends and family have come to see you...

Hope your BBQ went well....
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

The solution to running BBQs is to demand everyone bring a bit of meat and to invite someone who is very specific about how things should be cooked and will insist on taking over.

Once that's taken care of you can generally get away without doing much off your own back :P

Here's hoping it was kalidescopic!
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

hehe. Ruth! what were you doing on the internet 6hrs before your BBQ??? :P

So how did it go? are you still breathing? did the fire brigade or related emergency services have to come?

...nah, bet it was A1 \:D/
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

yes it was a resounding sucess, I was doing internet things to stop myself freaking out and it was marginally sucessful - then there was a series of thundery showers!! showers hah it was tipping it down but it cleared up for the evening and all was well.

sometimes I amaze myself that I try to do these things and then I'm even more amazed that it goes well!! It has taken me about a week though - shopping and cooking for 2-3 days before and still cleaning 2 days later but I think it's worth it, can't let these big things go unmarked.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Fair play Ruth u did good! :)
When I read your first post, I sooo identified with all your feelings.
Just a bit of proof that things do go well for us, sometimes!
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D