Exercise

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

karatheturtle14
New member - welcome them!

Exercise

Post by karatheturtle14 »

I am an American with dyspraxia. I need to lose weight and often have difficulty finding exercises because of my coordination and speed. I have tried walking but can't walk fast enough to burn any calories. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kara
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: Exercise

Post by Catwoman42 »

I walk a lot, but I think it's more to do with the distance you walk rather than how fast. I know when I walked every day I lost weight and felt great. Have you considered swimming? You can start off gently. It is good all-round exercise. Good luck!
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I've been overweight all my life (except for the time that I was anorexic, which I don't recommend to anyone). I started dieting at 12. I've done all possible diets that you can think of (weight watchers Spanish version, cabbage diet, banana diet, atkins diet...). Every time I left the diet I put all the weight back on. When people tell me "you just need to eat sensibly" I don't know what that really means because I don't know what normal amounts of food are. I can spend hours without eating, but then when I start eating I don't really feel full, so I can eat two pizzas and a cake. Two years ago I lost two stones (30 pounds for you) and I haven't out them back on. Walking doesn't make me lose wait (apart from hating it, as my feet hurt, trip over, etc). Light exercise doesn't make me loose weight. Yoga or/and pilates don't make me loose weight (though they make me feel good and make my body strong). The only thing that has made loose that weight has been to cycle 20 k a day and have only a big varied salad a day (lunch) and a hot chocolate for dinner. I treat myself at the weekends by having a nice big meal for dinner on Saturday and on Sunday. Sorry, I don't know of any miracles. Maybe an endocrinologist can help you. Also, avoid corn sirup. It's evil and many foods in USA have it.
Eva in London
rahgeena

Post by rahgeena »

Is it good or bad to exercise when you are already sore from exercising? Not tremendously sore, but just your regular soreness from exercising when you're not used to it. Should you wait a few days until the soreness passes, or just keep going?
Last edited by rahgeena on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

well, it depends. generally keep on going. It actually helps the soreness go.
Unless you've been exercising regularly but gone too far, ease it a bit
Eva in London
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

Why don't you try exercise DVDS. I prefer them because I don't have to exercise in front of people.. plus the more you practice with the dvds, the better you'll get at them. :D
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Its not so much the exersise that will help you lose the weight but the diet as well - eating a varied diet with vedge, carbs, and less fat and saturated fat as well as suggar will help - this 'diet' is a life long lifestyle change.

I have to say that it can't be easy trying to lose weight in the US as yes there are a lot of gyms, exerissie equipment on sale etc, but this is outweighted by the style of food and contense of the food etc. Its not to say that it can't be done - you just have to work on it and don't expect miricals over night.
The real Mr Potato Head
londoncatlover
Getting settled in

Post by londoncatlover »

Aqua aerobics is jolly good fun. Try looking for a comunty badminton group in your area. In London the local councels run them for people with mental health needs and the over 50's. It's good fun trying to hit a ball and concentrate makes me run about so much I sweat afterwards so deffo burn loadsa caloreis, and i am not the worst person there so my pride is intact.
Elizsabeth
Getting settled in

Post by Elizsabeth »

How are you at swimming. I'm no confident swimmer as it can be quite interesting at times when my arms and legs don't coordinate, and I can only just about do breaststroke, but its good exercise to loose weight, but is also good for a variety of other problems. Often there are special sessions for disabled, ladies only, 50+ etc.
Florjan

Post by Florjan »

Abs exercise:

Some basic and easy exercises for 6 pack abs are leg lifts, the plank, and the crunch,
For the six pack abs, a person has not only strengthened their abs by performing exercises,
but also follow a diet and workout routine that hilp him to have a low body fat and help to visible
abdominal muscles.....
Tara Gonzalez

Post by Tara Gonzalez »

Aerobics and Yoga are both good exercises, you can try meditation for 15 minutes, that should be enough to start with.

Meditation is the process of experiencing the silence within.

You can try some of the free full length guided meditations offered by

The Meditation in this site relate to nature and are not specific to a specific religion.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

I used to struggle to lose weight too. I can't run or jog far but I used to walk a lot, especially when I went on holiday, I'd swim loads too. Losing weight is hard, especially in America where even the bread is sweet but I wouldn't recommend any fad diets that cut everything but cabbage soup out for example. The mistake most people make is thinking that a 'diet' is a temporary thing to do to lose weight, and then you can go back to your usual food habits. This is a mistake because its your usual food habits that made you the weight you are, so if you want to lose weight and keep it off you need to put some more permanent measures in place, which is why I personally hate the fad diets- I mean, who wants to live off cabbage soup for the rest of their life?
The trick is to start making different choices in your day to day life and stick to them. Nothing to extreme that you think you can't cope with, so instead of thinking, "I'm not going to eat anything with sugar, fat or carbohydrates for the next 4 months" try thinking "I think I'll have a salad for lunch today" and look forward to it! If you like avocado, put that in the salad so you'll enjoy it, if you like ham, or egg, use that in the salad- its still low fat and sugar free, but its not like its a punishment or a trial to go through. Instead of thinking, "I'm going to walk 2 miles every day for 3 months" think, "I think I'll take the stairs today" or "I want to go to town and buy something, maybe I can walk there, or part of the way" (having said that if you live miles away and have to drive then practicality has to take over)

For me, swimming was the most enjoyable exercise, and its suitable for everyone. I have bad posture, which can make standing and walking tiresome and painful over time, but when you swim, the water supports your body and takes the strain off your muscles and joints- I never feel back pain when I swim, so I can do this for longest.
Also, if you're worried about belly fat, try sucking in your stomach. Yes it sounds stupid and temporary, but if you do it constantly every day, then you'll look slimmer as you're doing it and it does tone the muscles down there so eventually your stomach will stay sucked in my itself :)
Hope this helps
Socially awkward penguin
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

For maintenance of perfect health, exercise is no less important than diet. The reason why our ancestors were healthier and stronger than we are is that they led comparatively much more strenuous lives. Today's mechanization has set man against any sort of exertion.

Here we give a short account of the salutary effects of exercise on various organs and systems of the body.
Moses

Post by Moses »

hi
i am Moses. hope u will be fine. i give u some tips for weight loss. first walking fast is a best exercise other than running, trying to walking fast for more fitness. second eat vegetables and light food. 3rd avoid fast foods and oily foods. 4th eats salads.
follow these tips for best fitness and weight loss.
thanks
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I'm also a big fan of walking, I try to walk 10-15 miles a week, but because walking is a more gentle form of exercise than running or rowing etc its not about intensity but endurance.
you need to look at distance and do it regularly, its a slow process because its not so much about instant calorie burn but ramping up your metabolism over time.
Also as has been mentioned making some changes to diet could help, id particularly recommend cutting out coke and fizzy drinks I did it a few years back and I feel better for it , have you ever read the back of a fizzy pop can ? its basically sugar and chemicals nothing of any nutritional value.