Tying laces

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jake468
Getting settled in

Re: Tying laces

Post by Jake468 »

Luckily when I was younger the fashion was to wear skater trainers, do the laces up once, tuck them in, and just slip on your shoes after that. So excluding special occasions/job interviews/etc, I haven't actually had to tie my shoelaces for a very long time.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

You can also buy laces called Greepers, which unlike the curly ones look like regular laces, they have a toggle to pull them tight, if you go for them you may need help to fit them they are fiddly to set up but really easy once done, and normal looking too!
Jules
Getting settled in

Post by Jules »

For black work type shoes, I take my laces out and put black elastic in and tie it to fit and from then on they are slip-on shoes.
michele
Getting settled in

Post by michele »

I mostly gave up on laces, I can perma tie, continually deal with then coming untied, or wear shoes that do not tie. That said I have found I am so much happier in the Fila 4 toe shoes (generic of the five finger ones) and can feel the ground properly, I notice it helps with bumping into and tripping less....they are now my casual/active shoes. Alas can not wear them to dress up.

Michele
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

I didn't learn to tie laces until i was at least 12, my laces don't stay tied very long, its a great cause of embarrassment for me as i am always stopping to tie them up or just walking around with them un done, it has attracted quite some unwelcome comments and some of my less understanding friends laugh at me (even after telling them why ](*,) ](*,) ) people tell me to tell me to double tie them (which i don't often understand what they mean) but i cannot undo later. i really hate laces :blush: :blush:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The tying of laces does seem to be the bane of many of us. Is it the way we walk?
I find mine too frequently become untied and the additional knot over the top of the bow doesn't seem to be entirely foolproof and often seems to transform into what I hereby refer to as a bastard knot.

Would be good to consign them to room 101
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Grumpyguard89
New member - welcome them!

Post by Grumpyguard89 »

I find shorter laces easier to keep tied. Long laces seem to like to come undone.
George H
Getting settled in

Post by George H »

I don't think that I have contributed to this thread yet, but I will now.

I had problems with tying shoe laces. Up until Year 7 of school, I wore shoes with Velcro or buckles on them, and plimsolls for PE, but of course at Comprehensive School I needed shoes with laces for PE. The same when I needed to wear a tie as well.

I even remember Sesame Street doing a segment on tying shoelaces, and shall we say that I was outside its age bracket when I found what I saw quite useful.
YellowSunshine
Getting settled in

Post by YellowSunshine »

I have shoe laces on my boots which I wear in winter which are already tied where I can just slip my foot in and they are tight enough. Other than that I stay way clear of laces and wear dolly shoes however my work shoes do have laces but they are already tied and I just slip my foot in.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I use these nowadays. I got fed up with my laces coming undone all the time, even with a double knot!

https://www.amazon.com/LACES-Elastic-Sh ... 961&sr=8-2
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I'm the same--I can tie them but they won't stay tied. I either tie them in knots and then struggle to unknot them or I wear shoes that don't have laces; more likely the latter.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I really struggled with it, but probably learnt at about 10 years old, as I was going to secondary school. The trick that really helped me was doing the bunny ears method, as I think the symmetry of the two laces in that version of tying them made it easier for me to get the motions correct. Mine actually do stay tied now, but I tend to double knot it, so that's probably why.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

always have; suppose I always will
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

I can tie my laces just fine, but I can never do it in such a way that they stay tied for more than a few hours ](*,)

Just FYI. Learned about 9 years old. Bunny ears all the way. I'll still be struggling when I'm 70!! :lol:
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

Dan wrote:I really struggled with it, but probably learnt at about 10 years old, as I was going to secondary school. The trick that really helped me was doing the bunny ears method, as I think the symmetry of the two laces in that version of tying them made it easier for me to get the motions correct. Mine actually do stay tied now, but I tend to double knot it, so that's probably why.
How TF do you keep them tied? I've tried triple knotting them if the laces are long enough, and they still come undone!!