Panic attacks

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

luzalu
New member - welcome them!

Panic attacks

Post by luzalu »

Today i had the worst panic attack i have ever had. I was in a cafe choosing what to havve and suddenly it came on, normally something stressful or distressing triggers them off for me but i was completely calm , then out of nowhere i couldn't breathe, i was shaking, had come out in a heavy cold sweat and felt like i was going to be sick. I ran to the toilets and couldn't calm myself down then after 5mins it just suddenly stopped as sharply as it had started. I was very shaken up after and had temors slightly but it stopped so abruptly just like it started. I've been feeling very weak ever since but i was wondering if anyone else has had ones like this as this is completely unlike any i have ever experienced before.
abby
Getting settled in

Re: Panic attacks

Post by abby »

when i get that, its normally combined with sensory overload, or meltdown, so im sure if it is truly a panic attack, or just part of other things, but i feel like you describe. i find the best thing to do is to have something to eat, and rest for a bit, i sleep if i can, but i know its normally hard when im like that. by the next day, i am back to normality for me.

if you are worried, speak to your GP. are you already being treated for a panic disorder, as if unstressful events are triggering panic attacks, especailly if it happens again, there may be a panic disorder that can be treated.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
Corrine

Post by Corrine »

I have the worst panic attacks daily. I have a severe (bordering CRAZY)! phobia of vomit and as I don't drive (have tried and failed for almost 9 years), I have to use public transport to and from work every day and I just sweat, twitch and my hands shake so much sometimes that I have to sit on them!!! I don't like to stand at the front of the bus as I hate the idea of so many people being behind me (and me not being able to see them) but at the same time, I hate to share a seat on the bus or train with ANYONE! Through sheer panic of them possibly being sick.......I had a bad experience on a bus last summer. A schoolboy was sick on the bus upstairs and I was downstairs. The bus smelt awful and the bus driver wouldn't let me off as we were sat at a red light. I became abusive and told him to let me off the bus right now (swore loudly at him also, as you lose all dignity when you are in a situation that terrifies you) he continued to say no and I literally screamed and screamed and screamed (in front of a bus full of people, so buy, around 08:30 am) and he eventually let me off and the relief I felt as I got off that bus was unbelievable, as whilst I was stood yelling at him, I honestly felt like I was either going to have a heart attack or just pass out there on the floor.......... :-( I have to live with this everyday also and all I want is to be able to drive so it is just me in my space, driving to work with no one else there....but as I mentioned above, I have failed and failed and failed with the driving...

Corrine
Loki
Getting settled in

Post by Loki »

I get this quite a lot, I used to be really agoraphobic and if there is a lot of people around me I get really tense and brings about sharp fast panic attacks. Headphones are probably my best coping method, on buses I never breathe through my nose, only my mouth as that can set me off, especially if someone is smoking or, same a previous poster - some one has been sick.

I tend to try and sense overload myself, load music, and I usually spray a boat load of perfume onto my sleeve so I can just hold it over my face if need be. I also sit slightly twisted in my seat so I can see behind... or if they have those mirrors that let the driver see the rest of the bus I sit near them.

Since I started taking Multivits and Omega 3 fish oil (oddly for my migraines) the intensity of the panic attacks seems to have calmed down a little bit, don't know if there is a link there or if it is a psychosomatic reaction but some vitamin deficiencies can affect your brain and might decrease your defences to outside stimuli. Worth a shot :)
Beware my friends, as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I'm now so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me
/Mary Jane - Megadeth/
Elizsabeth
Getting settled in

Post by Elizsabeth »

I get what appear to be panic attacks, normally stemmed from sensory overload and my head jams up (like a non-responsive computer). A typical situation is in a cafe where I can't distinguish /tune out between other background noise and my own group's conversation, as another brain is able. I generally go into shut-down mode and my head jams up. Another typical situation is at night with lots of bright headlights etc that hurt my eyes, in addition to making it hard for me to see what is around me as all I can see is the bright lights that causes me pain, then again my head goes into shut-down/non-responsive/jammed up response.

In addition, I also struggle with crowds and 'chaos' around me, that leads to the same effect.

If anyone has any ideas of how best to deal with these two situations I'll be more that grateful. I'm always looking for tricks around a problem! If anything can help then it will help my panic attacks (getting to the route of the problem).

Thanks.
DavidDavis

Post by DavidDavis »

Panic attacks are periods of intense fear or apprehension that are of sudden onset and of relatively brief duration. Panic attacks usually begin abruptly, reach a peak within 10 minutes, and subside over the next several hours.
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

Corrine wrote:I have failed and failed and failed with the driving...

Corrine
Don't give up! I wrote off 3 cars and had 10 crashes, but practice (eventually) makes perfect. That said, most of my Dyspraxic friends don't drive, but us Dyspraxics can drive, albeit we do knacker out cars quite quickly... #-o

Regarding the main topic - I've had panic attacks a lot lately and was wondering if it's connected. I get loads of anxiety and fear which builds up owing to the frustration of Dyspraxia.
I also get horrible facial twitches and attacks of nerves when around people, which is annoying when, in my mind, I'm not scared of them at all.

However, I have discovered three remedies to panic attacks:
1. Bananas and Brocolli (or foods with Potassium and Magnesium in them)
2. Taking off your shoes - it seems to earth the electricity which builds up in the body
3. Shuffling your toes - it diverts the tension into a useless, invisible activity, which stops you getting anxious.

I get them quite frequently but they go away quite quickly too
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
waylander

Post by waylander »

Hi have been off work due to shoulder injury for 8 months, have for the last week had the massive panic attacks i have every had, couldn't breath went cold, chest pain felt like soiling myself. My GP has told me to work through it think this has been brought on by stress from work and due to get tested for Dyspraxia next Wednesday by occupational therapist. I know i have it because i was statemented with being clumsy child when younger which has being lost on medical notes, think subconsciously or even consciously that i don't want to be labeled with it due to what others may think.
But have to accept to myself as i get older i am finding it harder to deal with at times and im hoping these large episodes of anxiety stop.

I am a car driver and had small panic attacks and tend to keep chewing gum o soft mints in car which have usually solved the problem. Can say i have never written of a car "yet", practice has helped, but have and will always hate reversing or parallel parking and even considering admitting defeat and getting an automatic as changing gears and concentrating is becoming to much.

For those that think they cannot drive, believe you can do it i have been driving for nearly 4 yrs and learned in manual for quite a few years before going for test and im 34 yrs old.
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

Hi Waylander,

I get them too with driving too; chewing gum and cars are a match made in Heaven!

I also find audio books are useful, as it helps the brain if there is something to distract it. Chillout music as well works a treat, especially familiar tracks as association builds the impact.

Hope the panic attacks get better - I get them when meeting people nowadays (which is excruciating), and wish I didn't. The only thing that's worked for me is regular trips to the chiropractor (at £40 a pop), but I'm yet to find a silver bullet. Hope they get better though :)
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50