Chef de Cuisine

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I left my last catering job over 3 years ago and I was kinda bullied outta there by my boss, so it's not somethin I think about too much! I've done my time in catering but at least it's a skill I can fall back on if need be in future, work wise. It makes u hate doing it as a hobby tho.
The good thing about catering is it taught me to be very organised and tidy...in a industrial kitchen u cant really get away with being messy, which I was at first. I was only 16 when I did my first trainee chef job n I think it got me into good habits while I was fresh outta school.
Oh and the other good thing is, I used to work with my fiances mom, so even tho we did have mutual friends, chances are we wouldn't have become friends ourselves if I hadn't done catering either lol
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

robyn

Post by robyn »

must be fate!
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Definately fate. The weird thing is, the catering training company that found my kitchen placement offered me a place a few weeks before they got me the one with Scott's mom. I turned it down on gut instinct cause it wasnt exactly what I wanted. My training advisor called me stupid for this cause I'd joined the course late and there was next to no placements about.
A few weeks later along came this job for the local council. I was a regular at the same night club as Scott and was good friends with most of his band mates but I only got to know him cause I worked with his mom and I went and tracked him down when she said which band he was in and I realised I knew his bandmates....kinda off topic but there ya go, cooking can come to some good people!! \:D/ =D>
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Guys, a miracolous thing has happened- I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO COOK!!!!!!! I can make: Spaghetti Bolonese (with peppers and onions etc), Tuna Pasta Bakes, Omlettes (BUT they always burn on the back- anyone know how to help??) and FAJITAS!!!!! With raw chicken rather than precooked stuff!!! *so proud* i have always been rubbish in the kitchen, so for me actually buying fresh vegetables and cooking raw meat is such a big deal!!! :D
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

That's great! The only thing I manage with much regularity is an omelette. As regards the burning on the back once it's sufficiently solidified I flip one half over the other so that it's semi-circular shaped, give it a while, and then flip it over to the over side. It's relatively easy to flip when it's like this and you can flip it more regularly to check how cooked it's getting. So long as you've left long enough initially for the base to set it should work fine. Putting a knob of butter on the frying pan, even if it's non-stick and spreading it out across the frying pan before adding the egg is an essential. Don't use oil though as it makes the omelette go weird and horrible, although not being a culinary expert I have no idea why, lol.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I find that you can use oil so long as you heat the oil sufficiently first. If the omelette immediately cooks on contact with the oil it's okay, but if the mixture mixes with the oil it's horrible and will make you ill.
Dotty_shoes
New member - welcome them!

Post by Dotty_shoes »

I've just moved out out on my and I always thought I wasn't a bad cook but it became clear to me, within the first week, that I am, lol. By the time I have cooked all the ingredients most of them are freezing cold. I am, however, trying to not eat ready meals so it's a hell of a lot of ready bagged salad and tortilla wraps! :) yum yum... 8-[ I have lost almost a stone and a half since I've been here though so that's a positive, lol.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

if i do say so myself am a blooming good cook, i was a chef in the army so trained there for a couple of years, left and became a chef in a couple of resturants, but left (i have a habit of leaving jobs!)

wen friends come round or the bf i cook and everyone loves it compliments, my bf said my roast dinner are nicer than his mothers (i must be good) friends ask if i can throw dinner partys so i can cook something new and intresting for them!!

i must admit i love cooking.... however do make an utter mess, burn myself , drop food (make a lovely lasagna tried to get it out of oven n went everywhre not so long ago) but yeah i have millions of cook books and love experimenting
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

You can visit me anytime then ;)

I made toad in the hole tonight, it wasn't too bad, although the door is broken on our oven so it couldn't rise.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

i know what u mean about broke ovens mine is broke i have to get an adustable spanner to turn mine on as i broke the control must have been a bit heavy handed!!
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Chef de Cuisine

Post by Tom fod »

Thought I'd resurrect this post from the beginning of time as far as this site goes.

I'm quite greedy, a bit creative (not necessarily in swearing) and until I left home in late 2012 my culinary skills didn't amount to much beyond ready meals, scrambled egg, beans on toast etc. There are quite a lot of scary/difficult/hazardous things and a lot to coordinate in the kitchen so I appreciate why some might choose to avoid venturing into the kitchen for fear of what could happen including others pouring scorn on our efforts.

So would anyone like to share any stories or kitchen triumph or success or disaster? Or perhaps you have a signature dish or favourite recipe you'd like to share?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Teejaye98
Getting settled in

Post by Teejaye98 »

Hmm. I make pasta, and microwavable foods. That's about it. I do really love cooking though - really relaxing. I just find it stressful if someone is watching me or in the kitchen with me. I also like baking cookies, although recently I've been pretty bad at that. ](*,)
RobertoYeah

Post by RobertoYeah »

I cook fine.
rickbo4

Post by rickbo4 »

Hello, this is my first post, but was drawn too the cooking section on this forum, I actually really enjoy cooking, I did complete a catering course a few years back.. But now since various different accidents I can not even pour a hot kettle as, having past experiences where I have scalded myself E. T. C , It really annoyed me that I can not cook on my own these days as I have various different accidents, with kitchen equipment e. T. C has any body else had similar problems?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Rick

Welcome to our community. I’m curious as to whether yours is a self-imposed ban or has it been imposed on you by others?

I like food and will have a go but find I have to do things slow and deliberately for fear of accidents (or Dyspraxidents aka disasters). We have had people here who have worked in commercial kitchens. Not sure I’d fare well but I{ve done ok in office environment but I do find trying to keep a watch on multiple things in a fast-paced environment can often pose a big challenge for me.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)