Impaitence

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

sarahlouise22
Getting settled in

Impaitence

Post by sarahlouise22 »

I'm really annoyed at myself.... i was walking my dogs today....and we met some other dogs and milly our youngest dog wouldnt come back to me at all... and i wanted to get her back because i was worried she would run out of the field... and so i ended up just shouting at her and being all panicky. so i put her on the lead.. and when i go to get on my other dog on the lead he played up and wouldnt come to me... and i got annoyed at him..... this really upset me as the last thing i wanted to do is to get angry at them as it wasnt neccessarily their fault. i think its the fact i couldnt control the situation. any tips to help me with this? anyone else had a similar situation?
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Impaitence

Post by agsiul »

Could you give them a little treat every time you need to call them back like that or use a whistle to call them back so that you are not getting stressed out and give them the treat then so that they'll associate the whistle with being called back to go home and with getting a treat. When they hear the whistle and come you give them the equivalent of cat nip what ever that might be?
sarahlouise22
Getting settled in

Post by sarahlouise22 »

agsiul wrote:Could you give them a little treat every time you need to call them back like that or use a whistle to call them back so that you are not getting stressed out and give them the treat then so that they'll associate the whistle with being called back to go home and with getting a treat. When they hear the whistle and come you give them the equivalent of cat nip what ever that might be?

Wouldnt work with my youngest dog... im telling you that now lol shes too nervous... and she is so stressed she wouldnt even take the treat.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Mmmm....a bit trickier. don't know what you could do so unless you could use a ball. You know the way....throw the ball, throw the ball, pretend to throw the ball so that she'll come back waiting expectantaly to get the ball?
sarahlouise22
Getting settled in

Post by sarahlouise22 »

agsiul wrote:Mmmm....a bit trickier. don't know what you could do so unless you could use a ball. You know the way....throw the ball, throw the ball, pretend to throw the ball so that she'll come back waiting expectantaly to get the ball?

Tried that.... shes not bothered about it
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Damn...sulking. :-k
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

sarahlouise22 wrote: Wouldnt work with my youngest dog... im telling you that now lol shes too nervous... and she is so stressed she wouldnt even take the treat.
Is it possible that your dog is stressed because you are? Animals can be super sensitive to our emotions - I have a cat that freaks out and twitches and runs in circles around the house when I get angry or really upset. Instead of getting angry, could you fake a happy and excited voice when you call the dog - like you have something wonderful that you want to share with them? Would the dog fall for that?
sarahlouise22
Getting settled in

Post by sarahlouise22 »

Its not that... because when shes going off on one.... im not stressed or anything... shes just a really nervous dog when we are out.... nothing i seem to do works.