The Dentist

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tim G
Super poster

Re: The Dentist

Post by Tim G »

What opration are they talking about?
I think a retainer could work but you would have to talk to your dentest / outhodontist about this for thier oppioun on this.
The real Mr Potato Head
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

The operation would widen my palette, bring my bottom jaw forwards and my top jaw back.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

Hmmm, I think I need an operation like that. I have a very narrow pallette, and though I wore braces when I was younger, my teeth still don't feel in line. Having a lot of trouble with my teeth now, I've gotten through loads of wisdom teeth in an already over crowded mouth and they're uncomfortable, they rub against my cheeks and I have to get at least one taken out soon :(

I hate my teeth! They cause me no end of problems! :-#
Socially awkward penguin
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Creative wrote:The operation would widen my palette, bring my bottom jaw forwards and my top jaw back.
Sounds like a big opration - it could be worth it but should really considerd and all the pros and cons and also if its going to be coverd by the NHS or if you would have to go private - then its cost you would have to consider as well.
The real Mr Potato Head
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

I just had a consultation last week about my wisdom teeth, thought I'd post it on here (seeing as its titled 'dentist' I guess its appropriate! =P~ )
Bad news- I have to have 3 teeth taken out. THREE! And there's nothing wrong with them, they just shouldn't be there! Urgh! It has to be under local anesthetic and probably will take 3 separate consultations at the hospital to do.
Not only that but after each extraction I cant eat any solids for a whole week at least- I'm gonna be on soup for a month cause of this! :*(

I'm eating chocolate easter eggs and hard candy now while I still can... I think I'm hoping to to rot them out before I have to get them taken out the way I'm going :p
Socially awkward penguin
shakey
Getting settled in

Post by shakey »

I've had 1 (or is it 2) wisdom tooth out. They did it under GA as I told them I'd have a seizure if they tried to do it under local!

I used to watch my mother in awe when she brushed her teeth when I was younger - she does that thing where she twists her wrist & so can brush up and down perfectly just as the dentist wants us to & she does it at incredible speed too. I can hardly manage doing that about 4 times up & down before I give up with an aching wrist and switch to side to side brushing. I guess that's a dyspraxic thing now! Used to always have my teeth cleaned by the dentist / hygenist every time I visited them.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

Urgh you're so lucky you got it under general! I wish I could go under general but I have a heart condition so I have to spend the whole thing awake- thats up to 40 minutes with my mouth open being unable to move or swallow, and the main exctration isn't even a straight forward one as the tooth hasn't come through properly- its deep in my jaw bone and may even involve drilling into the bone. They know I'm very nervous about it so they have one of their best dentists doing the extraction... I'm still dreading it :Eek:
Socially awkward penguin
shakey
Getting settled in

Post by shakey »

Ooh, I don't envy you at all! :( All my wisdom teeth were impacted, so similar thing really, but I am soooo glad I was able to have it done under GA. I really hope it all goes well for you - let me know when it is & I'll pray for you if that's OK!
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

shakey wrote:Ooh, I don't envy you at all! :( All my wisdom teeth were impacted, so similar thing really, but I am soooo glad I was able to have it done under GA. I really hope it all goes well for you - let me know when it is & I'll pray for you if that's OK!
The letter I got says end of may is my first appointment, thankyou for offering to pray for me, as a church going christian its absolutely ok by me! Thanks again :)
Socially awkward penguin
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I hope it goes ok, somthing to consider / talk about is weather it could be done under sedation - this isent GA as such but more that they put you to sleep then carry out the proseager.
I had this methord used when I had teeth out for braces and it was really good and helpfull as it would be too much for me to go through if awake.
The real Mr Potato Head
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

When I asked for sedation they said no flat out because of my heart condition. I had to re-book and everything :(
Socially awkward penguin
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I have never had a dentist yet I have never had a single problem with my teeth (just lucky I guess)

I have often had a theory that dentists damage ur teeth to make money as everyone I know who has a dentist nearly always have toothache or some other tooth problem.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it