Drunkenness

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Esioul
Power poster

Drunkenness

Post by Esioul »

What do you people feel abotu drunkenness? Do you enjoy gettign drunk, or do you think it's stupid? I just had a drunken phonecall from someone I care about, and it hurt me badly. he thought his state was highly amusing but it just makes me feel ill and hurt.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Hi Louise.

Personally speaking I drink to be sociable. I don't particularly like the taste of alcoholic drinks much, so I wouldn't drink them for fun, but I do find it can help to make me relax and be more sociable (although on occasions it can also make me go quiet.)

That said I don't think it's particularly clever to get so completely inebriated that you lose control and end up doing things you regret. Enjoy yourself, but don't lose your self-respect I say. I say that from having on few occasions at Uni drank way too much. Hold the line and know your limits.

As for the phonecall, I can guess who you're referring to, but if you want to take about that then you will, however more generally I've experienced others say after a heavy night out calling everyone in their mobile's address book or verbally abusing people on the street. I think it shows they have no respect for themselves, never mind anyone else, and it makes other people lose their respect for them. Excessive alcohol consumption is an escape and if anything it's a sign of weakness. The fact they hurt you, while despicable in itself shows a problem more greatly in themselves rather than you.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I'm allergic to alcohol, if I drink, I die. So, as you might guess, I tend to shy away from alcoholic beverages.

I don't understand drunkeness. I have many friends who consider this their plan for an A-grade night out:

1) Go to unhealthy environment
2) Hand over large amounts of money
3) Drink poison that tastes like crap
4) Act like a tit
5) Repeat 2-4 until...
6) Throw up
7) Fall unconcious
8) Wake up with a headache from hades
9) Regret (4)

Also my dads a bit of a drunk sometimes and it's caused me problems more than a few times :( I really do not, in any context, understand alcohol or what the attraction is.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

What you both say makes total sense.

yes, it is who you think it is, Daniel. He said some quite nasty things to me, and even today when he is mroe sober, he still thinks he was mroe or less right for saying them, and says he will continue to get drunk. Apparently I have 'no life' because I don't drink much. I still go out with friends and have a good evening, even though no one gets very inebriated.

Yes, on occaision I have been a little drunk but I didn't like it, and won't be repeating it. It distresses me that this person claims to care about me... but then does something like this. If anything I'm weak because I can't jsut walk away from him after everythign he's done.
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

thanksyou for starting this thread Louise as it is an area of interest for me. I've only recently strarted to drink again after a long period of abstinence from all mood altering chemicals. I find that a couple of socialble beers can be enjoyable but to drink to excess has never been fun for me. I have never understood drunkeness and have witnessed my mother,s excess, and near early demise as a result of alcohlisim. I don't know if this has made me averse to drunkeness, which i am, or i have a biological anomoily that makes me feel different from others.

I have wondered if dyspraxia might have something to do with it because when i have had a drink i become even more clumsy verbally and find it even harder to concentrate. When i go out with my friends i always feel different and get accused of being boring because i stop drinking and i am not interested in getting any more inebriated.

On the other hand, certain other substance have been a problem for me. my last drug of choise was crystal meth, a powerful stimulnant that greatly enhanced my levels of concentration and helped me to focus my attention, however, ultimately at the expense of my freedom. I found that drugs cost me my freedom to be myself and limited the scope of my life because of my dependence on them. furthermore, it cost me my liberty as i ended up in prison for just over three years. Therefore, I avoid situations and places that those other substances might be consumed and feel very happy with that.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Hi Esioul - Don't feel weak because you can't walk away.... there may come a time when you think why I am i putting up with this behaviour and decied the time is right to walk away... But you will know yourself when that time is...
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Post by arthmelow »

When I'm having a "dyspraxia day" ( as I've named them ), people sometimes think that I am drunk. Therefore the possibility of alcohol and drunkeness terrifies me. :-s
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

I like the idea of naming one's bad days as dyspraxia days, it seems really apt. furthermore, reading your short post on drunkeness etc etc only confirms my beleif that i do not care for getting drunk because it aggrivates my dyspraxia, and takes me in the opposite direction to the direction that i want to go.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I can't see the attraction of going out and getting smashed and then feeling ill for the next day and not remembering the night before. What's the point? I will have a social drink, but I know where my limit is, so I have never been drunk. As soon as I even start to feel slightly bad I stop.

The trouble is, if someone is drunk, you end up watching out for them, so you stop having a good time, which is unfair, so I feel.

I think, when you are going out to get drunk all the time, you need to start worrying about it, as two questions spring to mind.
1) Do you need alcohol to enjoy yourself?
2) How long is your liver going to hold out for?

The questions are rarely thought about. I guess the same sort of thing could be said of smoking.
I watched that kill people I know, what it does, yet people still do it. It's something like a £5 a pack, so I've heard, yet people still do it.
Maybe it's peer pressure, I've never been one to follow a crowd, I do what I feel happy with.

Nick, well done for being clean of Crystal Meth. I have heard that drug, really does destroy lives and it the most addictive drug around, so a news report informed me a while back. If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to take it? Was it peer pressure, or did you just want to try it?
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

well I have been well and truely laruped in my time, but only once have I lost a portion of the evening- it frightened me so badly that i've never done it again.

I actually find that a little drink helps me to be less clumsy etc. but we are talking a half pint or a single gin. I like being merry but I don't like the hangovers and they seem to get worse as i get older.

Getting drunk and then phoning and saying hurtful things is just plain mean. There is the view point that people who drink alot need to be surrounded by people who drink alot in order to justify their behaviour. Your sobriety( if ok word) may just agrivate their guilt over their own behaviour.

I love a really tasty pint of beer - I get full up before I get drunk! it's great.

Intersting to me that 1800's opinion of Gin is similar as our opinion of cocaine! or so it seems to me.
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

Hi David.

the answer to your question is the same for every drug. it is a matter of progression, i was in to rave scene in Los Angeles and speed was a very popuar drug you see a lot of people doing it and it becomes the normal thing to do. Crystal Meth is a very pure and powerful form of speed and it has been badly hyped in the press. I was addicted to hereoin when i was in my late teens and early twenties and that did far more damage as far as i was concerened. however, there is no doubt that crystal meth is a dangerous drug and i have seen people do some realy shitty stuff because of it. but to get back to your question, you are doing other things with out bad consequences, you see other people doing it and it becomes the next thing that you do. the world does not end because you take it, and a lot of people seem to be able to cope or decide after a period of time that its not for them.

With me it became my life, the way i made my money, and that eventually led to my arrest and inprisonment. All that time i never felt like i was a bad person or a criminal and i never thought that i was hurting anybody. However, on reflection vulnerable people could well have ended up getting hurt by my actions.
towildhoney
Getting settled in

Post by towildhoney »

mmm overwhelmingly negative response to this one it seems

drunkeness = bad

odd drink = (for me = cool)

I find paticularly at awful situations such as parties one or two drinks calms me down making me less self concious so less clumsy yes less clumsy not a miraculously alchool induced non dyspraxia just more relaxed.

(Admision once or twice I have hidden my embaresment at breaking the 4th glass in a drink)
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Post by arthmelow »

towildhoney wrote:mmm overwhelmingly negative response to this one it seems

drunkeness = bad

odd drink = (for me = cool)

I find paticularly at awful situations such as parties one or two drinks calms me down making me less self concious so less clumsy yes less clumsy not a miraculously alchool induced non dyspraxia just more relaxed.

(Admision once or twice I have hidden my embaresment at breaking the 4th glass in a drink)
This is possibly because the thread is more about drinking to be drunk rather than the enjoyment of alcohol-based drinks and foods.

I love cooking with red and white wine, and various liquers. I just don't like the taste of them as a drink normally.

This is also possibly because this forum seems to have a majority of UK based people and the drink to be drunk culture is a lot more prominent than it is in some other countries.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Thanks for your answer Nick.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

There is going to be alot of people needing new livers if a binge drinking culture continues.