home budgeting nightmare

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildflower73
New member - welcome them!

home budgeting nightmare

Post by wildflower73 »

Hi I'm new on here
Does anyone else have difficulty with money/direct debit dates or postal bills - like remembering where youre up to with the budget, or that you have to call a company - like renewing car insurance that sort of thing. Yet again I am going to incur charges on things I have forgotten about or got confused over dates. Its really getting me down. I would much prefer to deal with everything in cash - its there in front of me so I know what I'm dealing with - even if I struggle to pick coins up #-o . Dealing with banks is a nightmare for me.
I wonder if this is just me or if anyone else has encountered this sort of problem.

peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Re: home budgeting nightmare

Post by peterkeegan »

yeah most of time, The direct debits I always put at the start of the month as I get my wages usually a few dates before except for xmax time then I have to be careful. I usually do run out of cash anything from a few days before payday to a week before. I try and plan my money but always seem to fail quite badly.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

same here. I used to go and pay bills in the post office, but I got my supplies cut so many times because I forgot to pay them that I have everything on direct debit now. That way I don't have to worry about that. But I do spend most of my money within the first two weeks and then I have to restrict my expenses for the rest of the month. It's been like that since I started working when I was 17. I just can't get it right with money matters.(well, or anything relatd to numbers). I went to the bank today and the financial advisor talked to me to tell me that I have right to a few things that I am not using (because of my salary, apparently I could have loans and mortgages and other stuff). I felt completely stupid as I couldn't understand half of wht he was saying. I was even starting to get dizzy with all those numbers and interest percentages etc. So after five minutes I stopped listening and I just said: Ok, just do whatever helps me save more money so I don't even know what he's done. And it amazes me, because some people with average intellingence seem so good for all those things!how do they do it!!!!???? was the advisor just trying to trick me into getting into debt with the bank? should I follow his advise and get a mortgage to buy a house? do I really need to buy a house? One of the big misteries of life. I guess this reply wasn't of very much help, just a silly rant. But I guess the answer is yes, home budgeting is a nightmare.
Eva in London
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

Just a suggestion take someone with you who understands banking, mortgages and finances easier than yourself and get the advisor to go through it then.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.
conor
Getting settled in

Post by conor »

in the past few months ive had money issues,moved my broadband from my last place i lived to where i live now,i thought it was all done and dusted,but when i called to have it shut off(moving to other provider)they told me the internet in the other place was never shut off,paid double,it never properly clicked,until that call,so being told that and having so much trouble with that company it annoyed me further,i was told i would be getting all the money back,waited a month,got noting so called the company and got a hard time with them,had to get my brother to call,money will be here for me soon,all the money that goes out of my account is through direct debit(except for 2nd broadband account)def best thing to have for us,no doubt we would be terrible at remembering to pay the bills....
wildflower73

Post by wildflower73 »

I once was paying two insurances on my house and didn't realise! :rolleyes: I think I get my money sorted then find there is something I've overlooked, direct debits never seem straightforward - there's a surprise every month when I find something is not right. I just told my car insurance company to whistle as the letters they send are too confusing. I will attempt the bus for a while, save some pennies.

I was beginning to think it was just me finding money a pain - thanks for the replies,
no charges/late payment costs for dyspraxic people would be a dream come true :lol:
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

hahaha, Peter, not sure if that piece of advice was for me of for everyone else here. Thanx anyway. I hate relying on other poeple, though (well, in terms of intellectual stuff at least. It makes me feel sooo stupid), but I guess that is a solution. Thnx again
Eva in London
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

Eva at least you won't get screwed over and someone to talk things over with you before signing anything.

I<3Pandas

Post by I<3Pandas »

I stil live at home so i dont hav to finck to mutch abowt finanses butt I am goud at macking shor I hav enuf muney to last til my nexst paymant. and macking shor I hav muney asyd for tfhings like bus faire adn toletrys.
And I wanna know what itd be like to find perfection in my pride, to see nothing in the light - Paramore
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I know, I know...you're perfectly right, Peter. I just hate it and everything related to banks. But you're right. thanx
Eva in London
wildflower73

Post by wildflower73 »

I just came across a very helpful banking person :O
I went in to sort out my kids accounts and decided no matter what they tried to sell me I would not get into anything as usually I miss some important detail or they say no youve got bad credit etc, I actually ended up upgraded my account to an account which I'll pay for BUT the cost includes no fee for going overdrawn :banana: the cost is less than normal overdraft fees I get every month and it covered lots of other extra things too like mobile phone insurance and car breadown. Brilliant. The fella in the bank was helpful as he underlined all the important bits in the paper work which I think he would of done anyways, and gave me a point by point sheet of what I had to do next. Am not used to understanding anything with banks,hopefully it will go a bit of the way to helping me keep hold of some money not paying it out in charges. Fingers crossed.
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

Did you disclose that you are dyspraxic before hand?

SirDaveofDanger
Getting settled in

Post by SirDaveofDanger »

My finances are finally in a good state, but its taken nearly half a year to sort it to this state. The only way I control everything is to have it on direct debit (well apart from my credit card which I pay off as soon as I have got paid, and fortunately owe nothing on at the moment). The best way is to list all your outgoings and figure out the best way of paying those bills
bumbleguff

Post by bumbleguff »

i know its not a big thing compared to some bills but i have problems returning the library books on time.....i always run over and get fined no matter what #-o .the rest of the bills are handled (thank goodness) by my other half.Money is not my strong point
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I made out a monthly time table for the direct debits and they were colour coded. I planed it out for the year so that I would have the yearly things in on them as well. I don't know if that helps. I found it worked as well with yearly check ups for the dentist, etc. because I'm terrible for forgetting to go to appointments or standing people up