Brain fail moments of the week.

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Brain fail moments of the week.

Post by babooshka2002 »

About a week ago, I left an electric hob on overnight. I did not figure this out until the following night when I came to cook some pasta. So I turned it off, muttering angrily to myself. Boiled the kettle for the pasta, boiling water into pan - and forgot to turn the hob on. Half an hour later, I realised why my pasta was just sitting there and not boiling. Went for cheese on toast with beans instead. Burned myself on the baked beans, dropped the toast, cheese-side down (of course), on the floor twice, left the cheese out overnight (fortunately only two slices left - pre-sliced cheese for the win - I discovered it - no more problems with cutting cheese yay!), also left the fridge door open and the grill on.

The following morning, closed the fridge door while breathing very deeply to try not to erupt in furious swearing, fetched dirty plates from living room, put one in the washing machine and the rest in the sink. No, I don't know why either. These things happen automatically with seemingly no intervention from my brain whatsoever that hi Hazel, plates don't go in there! And if my brain had a fail, why put just one in? Why not put all the plates in? Who knows, it's a mystery. Went to the loo, literally bouncing off the walls in my hallway as I suddenly found myself unable to walk in the gap between the walls and my momentum from crashing into one wall took me into the other. Then I sat almost on the toilet and fell off. Walking out of the bathroom, I caught a foot on the doorframe and flipped myself into the opposite wall. Upon reaching the kitchen and noticing the plate in the washing machine I had what I can only describe as a temper tantrum, shouting all the filthiest words I know at the top of my voice while furiously kicking the hell out of the kitchen door. And I wasn't wearing slippers either at that point - bare feet. Then I washed up the plates, breaking a glass in the process. After that, limped sulkily to the computer in a thoroughly bad mood and made myself feel better by beating the crap out of some monsters.

I have these things happen a lot, but it's only when I have a run of them that it drives me seriously crazy! Grrrr!
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Re: Brain fail moments of the week.

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I constantly miss time food like for example chicken and chips, i would leave the chips in longer or less and eat them first and then chicken would either be too over cooked or undercooked. it doesn't happen frequently though as my mum and do most of the cooking which is good.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Blue-eyed
New member - welcome them!

Post by Blue-eyed »

Made all 5 of us the most amazing fry up ever and cleaned up after myself: things going great my bro comes in and tells me that there is only 3 of us (didn't I remember that he had left and I actually had a conversation with him and said good by too?) oh well more for everyone else oh look mam has returned we now have 4 but still enough for everyone. So I pick up my tray and talking to my girl didn't notice it sliding towards me, I meanaway from me is understandable but towards me? thats against the rules so looking at the debris of smashed fry up all over the floor with the remnents of the plates death scattered miles apart I launched the remaining heavy tray in a fit of rage.

Now its made out of the sturdiest sweedish plastic I know of, it shouldn't have shattered into a thousand peices but just bounce. Well thats the evil banana pixie for you :evilb:

Btw I think evil banana pixie really describes the folly of dyspraxia related incidents, they are sometimes even laughable like "you know when your dyspraxic when" forum
share the joy like
DysDash
conor
Getting settled in

Post by conor »

i left the oven on a few times,think it was from being drunk though,pies where burnt right through,left hob on a few times,thats annoying cause you put your life in possible danger....have left water on,heating on and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on......
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

It's so comforting to be among people who totally get where you're coming from. :)

@conor - Fortunately for me, when I was furnishing my flat, my support worker refused to allow me to get a cooker with gas hobs. I wanted that because my parents always said that electric was harder to cook on. My support worker was SO right - if I had had gas, I am almost completely sure that I would have set my flat on fire, or gassed myself or something. Plus, despite good intentions, I really don't cook much because i can't - certainly not going to be making complex meals like my parents used to - so electric suits my needs ine.

I love the idea of calling this the evil banana pixie! :grin: :evilb:
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I am moving in a to a place with gas cooker and it does worry me. If you leave electric on there isn't much harm, leave gas on and kaboom.
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

@Pooky

Is there anything you can do to change it, for your own safety?
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Not had any major incidents for years (aminkly as i leave cooking to others) but walking back to teh kitchen a few months back , my mums new wallpapered walls , i had a remants of spaghiti bolognise on a tray . And instead of tripping my arms though... oh why dont i just launch this tray i have into teh wall... sigh

Thankfully it was a new easy wipe off stuff ;)