Electric noise

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

DaisyDelMonte
New member - welcome them!

Electric noise

Post by DaisyDelMonte »

Do buzzing fridges, ticking clocks, computer running noises bother anyone else? Sometimes I comment that their noise is driving me mad and noone else in the room has noticed or can hear it even when they listen for it! I seem to be really sensitive to this electrical appliance background noise, is anyone else? :-k
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
cpr02
Regular Poster

Re: Electric noise

Post by cpr02 »

YES ! :D but it's not just that i seem to get annoyed by the slightest background noise or movements especially if im trying to concentrate on something or am tired or trying to sleep does anyone else have this problem or is it just me ?? :D :D :D
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

oh gods yes! I can't be in a silent room with a ticking clock. I have to have a digital alarm clock (thank goodness for mobiles!). The fridge freaks me out. Even the noise of the computer seems overwhelming sometimes!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Oh yes! Noises like that can drive me mad!
Wind Chimes are a nightmare! I made my parents take down the one in our garden as I couldn't bear hearing the noise at night! It made me feel anxious. I can't stand ticking clocks. At night I use a timer as my alarm clock as I can't sleep with a ticking sound. Dripping taps annoy me!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I believe it's quite common for dyspraxics to have heightened senses (although which senses probably varies with the individual.) I'm more sensitive than most to light, sound, touch and temperature.

Dan
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

Yes! I get so irritated by noises like that. Probably shouldn't have bought a flat opposite a motor bike shop..... My alarm clock ticks so loud that i have to keep it in a thick pair of sliipers...
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Not so much anymore (though my hearing is lousy and i have blocked senusis ) but as a kid i would always know when an electrical appliance was on before goign into a room . And differentiate between devices.
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

I think i have over sensitive hearing and over sensitive to being touched as well(i hate being touched but can only allow people i have close bonds with to touch me). I often get funny looks when i say this but when ever i turn on a TV i often hear this continuous high pitched sound and it gives me a headache after about 30mins of the TV being turned on. Annoying thing is i dont even have to be close to the TV to hear the sound, i can be upstairs in my bedroom and still be able to hear that same high pitched noise, i dunno am i just going mad, my sister used to be able to hear it when she was like 10 but shes 16 now and no longer hears this noise, so i dunno i think it has something to do with the over sensitive thing, anyone else no what im talking about coz i have never met a single person that knows what im talking about and sometimes it worries me
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
Alice
Getting settled in

Post by Alice »

I can't sleep in the same room as a watch. When my dad or brother leave their computers on, I cannot sleep. I can hear the fridge from my room.