Not very well
29%

Total votes: 73

LuluJeanne
Getting settled in

Can you swim?

Post by LuluJeanne »

Hello :)

Just a quick question. I'm wondering whether dyspraxics/dyslexics find it difficult to learn how to swim?

I can't swim at all. I've tried for years, but i just cannot get my arms and legs to co-ordinate, my arms will be doing a breast-stroke, but my legs are sinking in the water!

Anyone had any similar experiences?
](*,)
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again"
"Life is a waiting game"
differentfromtherest
Getting settled in

Re: Can you swim?

Post by differentfromtherest »

yhh i have that problem i can now from last summer swim a lenth but not very well and near the wall so i can grab it haha. so yh might be a dyspraxic thing. coz of the coodination
Living with dcd can makes you feel like a penguin in the middle of the saudi arabian desert, completely out of place
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

took me 6 long years to learn how to swim hahahaha i can swim now but very very very badly :lol: , people used to laugh at the fact i couldnt swim but i didnt care, its like riding a bike once u learn difficult to forget how :D , just keep trying to swim ur bound to get it right eventually :) ;)
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
Bounce
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bounce »

I have trouble but I am confident I won't sink
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

I always thought I was wierd because I couldnt swim but now I might have the answer why! I was always in the lowest group lol.

I can just about swim but only at the side because as soon as I start to sink it all goes wrong and i end up looking like a hippo or something. I have never been able to tread water!!!!
DaisyDelMonte

Post by DaisyDelMonte »

I only learnt to swim a few years ago, I was rubbish at it but one thing I had over the other learners was lack of fear. I wasn't afraid of the water, I just couldn't get my limbs co-ordinated to learn the strokes! I had a really good teacher who instead of forcing me to try and learn a set stroke (like they had a at school), she got me to just flounder about as best i could, looked carefully and decided that i naturally suited breaststroke. I can manage to swim a length now, but more importantly i can float, which is a lovely feeling and a bit of respite from the sensory overload that life seems to be for me! Keep trying!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
differentfromtherest
Getting settled in

Post by differentfromtherest »

my sis is having a pool party at the weekend and insists i swim, there will be loads of people there and i have never swam in front tht mean people before, if u can call it swiming, i dont wanna make an idiot of myself. any advice?
Living with dcd can makes you feel like a penguin in the middle of the saudi arabian desert, completely out of place
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Swimming is one of the only sports I can do. I learnt to swim when I was about 6 or 7. My stroke is not perfect and I'm not that fast but I can do the breast stroke ok. I can't manage front crawl. I find it exhausting!
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I cannot swim at all. I have had lessons but for me, it just did not work. I just could not get the motion right, I had really trouble keeping my legs up.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
SirDaveofDanger
Getting settled in

Post by SirDaveofDanger »

I can swim reasonably well (I represented my school in several competitions over 4/5 years to a reasonable level). I was known as 'the finisher' for relays as I generally was ther fastest over a short distance, out of the group I was with. The trouble is I lack finances to do anything swimming related at this moment in time, unless I happen to be somewhere with a pool that is free to use, but would love to get back into it full time (as its more fun than walking, in my opinion)
philip banham

Post by philip banham »

it took me a long time to learn to do it, but like with most things once i learned to do it i got reasonably good. im hardly the fastest swimmer but i can do distances well, i suppose it varies from person to person
Love it or hate it, this is me.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Like afish to water as teh saying goes oddly never had issues ? (used to spend loads of time underwataer where by i freaked peopel out(that was when i was a bit fitter as well ;) )
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I used to swim competitively.... unfortunately now I am banned from the pool on medical grounds. :(
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
brian
Getting settled in

Post by brian »

Yes, I can swim.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I can swim quite well. The only sign of dyspraxia that I could have there is that I am left handed for swimming, while right handed for writing
Eva in London