15%
Not very well
29%

Total votes: 73

Millie
Getting settled in

Re: Can you swim?

Post by Millie »

Interesting to find this. It took me a long time to learn how to swim, but even then could not find a stroke where I could move in a synchronised way that would hold me up for very long. I always seem to lose the rhythm of the stroke very easily.
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I can swim, but I hate putting my face in the water (same with the shower) My technique is rubbish as I hate putting my face in. Another swimmer told me he and his friends called me Noddy because my head bobbed up and down. My backstroke is good, probably because I can keep my face up. Anyone else hate getting their face wet?
Wobble
Getting settled in

Post by Wobble »

Yes i can and reasonably well compared with other people.I was always a fish in the water and it was the one sport i would actually do and enjoy rather then refuse.
nicolabamber
New member - welcome them!

Post by nicolabamber »

Hi
I have 3 dyspraxic children who all swim competively in disability competions, although they took a long time to learn. Dyspraxia at the moment is a DSE classification recognised in Britain, but not as a paralympic classification. So keep practising you may be British champion one day.
Breastroke is the hardest stroke for dyspraxic swimmers, least compete in it.Most compete in the front crawl.
I was quite put out my my daughters paediatrician wh was surprised she could swim unaided! So much for positive thinking
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I have a screw kick in Breaststroke. Always had. It is not good for your lower back so don't do it. Crawl and breaststroke I always did.
jen d
Getting settled in

Post by jen d »

I can swim breaststroke but I am at the same level as I was when I was about 9 and cannot improve no matter how much I try. Both my children took ages to learn and like me can only just swim now.
abby
Getting settled in

Post by abby »

"she cant run, she cant throw, she cant cacth, or hit, but put her in the water and by golly can that girl go" <-- my dad siad that many times, (but girl got replaced by kid as soon as i managed to fight back against those horrible dresses and ribbons they forced me into).

swimming is the only sport which doesnt leave me crying with pain after 5 minutes, so i rather took to it. now i swim 3 times a week, and i am taking part in a sponsered swim to raise money for SJA soon.
i hope to move on to open water soon as i am allergic to chlorine, and even with the drugs, i come out of the pool feeling like my body is on fire. and its a new challenge.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
Wayward
Getting settled in

Post by Wayward »

I voted 'yes' as I like to swim these days, but it's only in the past couple of years I've started. I only do breaststroke as I naturally start doing that in the water and front crawl would require too much effort alternating my coordination from left to right and back again.

I do find that sometimes I lose my rhythm swimming, like one side of me suddenly jerks involuntarily and then I start to flounder, often getting water in my nose/mouth. Does anyone know if that's a dyspraxic thing? Seems to be something to do with left and right sides of me not synching up properly. Similar thing happens sometimes when I'm walking quickly, which leads to most of my accidents!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I'm not an amazing swimmer but I'm pretty confident. Crawl is a bit too uncoordinated so prefer breast stroke which again, is probably not near as coordinated as it should be but it gets me through the water and swimming is one of the few things that relaxes me. Will have to go again soon.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I can't swim. I simply can't co-ordinate my body in water and I gave up trying a very long time ago because I gained absolutely zero satisfaction from trying to do it... That and it was bloody embarrassing.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I can swim but only 10 metres (I got my 10 metres certificate and badge in year 5 in primary school, and I have never got round to exceeding that record, though I have sometimes considered taking up swimming again), and I can't swim backwards.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Used to do competitive swimming but stopped as they changed the time for training and my mum couldnt get me there as she was working (used to be five till six then changed it to four till five) so I am very confident in my swimming ability having won numerous medals. If I had the money I would go a couple times a week to my local pool just for the exercise as I still love swimming (preferably in a pool as after swimming in the sea the sand gets stuck all over you and you end up with sore inner thighs :| ). When I was in primary school I was petrified of getting into a pool but their lsa and one of the teachers worked together to help me get over that fear.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Rebecca_chelt

Post by Rebecca_chelt »

I was brilliant at it at school, now however I'm pretty terrible. Unless I'm doing lengths of a pool, with my head under the water, I seem to revert to doggy paddle without even noticing until I start to sink. I think its just a matter of lack of practice really!
joeswinn

Post by joeswinn »

No.. I too have the same problem, poor in swimming
tlofty82

Post by tlofty82 »

I learned in 4th grade and never got to swim for about 3 years and foegot and still do not know