15%
Not very well
29%

Total votes: 73

Willr0490
Power poster

Re: Can you swim?

Post by Willr0490 »

I learned in primary school. It took me a long time though, and as a result, the end of primary school came before I exceeded ten metres. So I can still only swim ten metres as a consequence.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You could equally say "yes I can, but I'm untested beyond 10 metres".

If you can do 10 you should be able to do 20 try to go at a quieter time and don't worry if your slow or your leg and arm movements aren't as synchronised as they perhaps ought to be.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Methley31
New member - welcome them!

Post by Methley31 »

Interesting!!!
I've only recently heard about Dyspraxia, after years of searching for reasons for all the anomalies in my life.
I'd not even thought of swimming, I never got the hang of it through school even with extra lessons, not until I was 27 my husband taught me before our honeymoon, I still have to know I can touch the floor though!!!
Just added it to my list of sports etc that I suck at, and for a competitive person it's always been frustrating.
I'm hoping this is the start of understanding myself and a more positive future, I'm sick of feeling like a fish trying to climb a tree!!!
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I can swim, but i'm insanely slow :-(
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I believe it was Einstein who said if you judge a fish by it's ability to ride a bicycle it will always feel it is a failure.

Look for opportunities to push the boundaries in small measures n be kind to yourself for trying/making small gains on a personal level.

Now I just need to remember my own advice too 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

I can barely swim. I would say I couldn't swim until I was 25 and got some patient one on one instruction. I haven't done it in awhile so I'm not sure if I still can, I'm 28.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Yes I went swimming when I was a child, took me ages to master a length without armbands. In Year 4 I was in the bottom group for swimming with a few others but we had our own section in the pool. surprising i did worst swimming in front of my class and teacher and first aider. Than with my Dad, Granddad and sister sometimes my uncle tagged along.

I can remember one of the teachers joking with me about would I saved her if she was drowning.

(I missed a couple of times swimming during year 4) so those who could not go swimming for whatever reason, were given work to do (not as punishment) like further maths, written work etc.

These days as I got older and got more marks on my body because of my health condition I tend not to go swimming. On holiday in Cuba since it was very quiet in the hotel we used to sit in the smaller pool with a t-shirt on and shorts on to cool down.
michele
Getting settled in

Post by michele »

Hmm I suspect one thing to ponder is swimming effectively to not drown/enjoy the water vs formal strokes.

I am completely at home in the water and underwater frog is my primary stroke...I am also hopeless at most formal strokes. So contrast being called a fish by Grandpa with not progressing well at formal swimming.

How many of you who believe you can't swim is it because you did not just learn to swim in a just kinda learn to thrive in water way? Honestly, I do nothing "normally" but I have figured out a way to be good/at least functional at some version of many tasks.

Michele
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."