Shopping for Breakables

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pooky
Administrator

Shopping for Breakables

Post by Pooky »

I know this sounds silly but I really want a quiche dish as I like making quiches.

I have been into the supermarket twice now and it is sitting there, but I have decided not to purchase as I am afraid I will drop it before I get it back to the car ](*,)

Does anyone else choose not to buy stuff as they are frightened of dropping it?
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I work with breakable stuff! but I never break it. It is tough to break things, trust me. If you drop things from a height or throw things they break, otherwise they rarely do. You get away with knocks and drops.
If it bothers you, put your shopping in the car and purchase the dish on it's own. Have some bubble rap or paper in the car so you can place it securely on the floor or backseat of your car and you will be fine.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

now pooky i read this post yesterday and it got me thinking is this why I'm reluctant to buy things? and I think the answer may be yes. For myself and my girls if we manage to get home from the shops without breaking something it's worthy of celebration. I am very good at getting all my shopping home from town now but It is not unusual for me to leave it liying about on the bus in the shop at the bus stopp etc. It does cause me to pause.

going specially to buy an individual item never ever works out and if I really want something I'm bound to break it.

Here are some silly suggestions, If you have a birthday coming up you could ask for it for a present. You could buy 3 just in case. ooh oooh great idea if it's a supermarket do they do on line shopping? then they could bring it!!! \:D/

good luck
Liz944
Super poster

Breakables

Post by Liz944 »

I collect Swarovski crystal and it sits in my display cabinet under glass where I cannot break it and collects dust (as I will not wash or dust it) as every time I have tried to clean it I have broken a peice... :*(

I know what you mean about worring about breaking things. If I go to my mums house and my mum holds a dinner party i am not allowed to wash up as I regularly break items...

I refuse point blankly to walk into expensive china shops....

I like the idea of internet ordering!!!
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Suprisingly, I dont worry about breaking stuff- although I should, seeing as im a walking disater! Im constantly breaking things (espcially when I was a kid, even a tennager, at my friends houses- a big glass dish, a radiator, a killed hmaster...) but i dont worry- if it happends, it happens... i tend not to buy the best of the best of electronics, mainly for my attitude of 'well ill break it soon'. Online shopping; what an excellent idea! Or why dont you gop weith sa mate Pookie who can carry it for you?
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
Snjstar
Regular Poster

Post by Snjstar »

I worry about breaking things
josiejo31
Getting settled in

Post by josiejo31 »

i think im ok with this kind of thing, ill be a bit worried about it but u shouldnt let it stop you buying things you want. Either get someone else to carry it for you or take something to wrap it in to carry it.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I go shopping with my backpack and before I get to the shops I know exactly what I intend to buy, from where and how it fits together in the pack. Onces it's in the pack it's not going to break so all I have to do is carry it a short way and hope for the best.

That being said I don't buy that many breakable things, but I move house a lot (more than 1/year for 7 years) so I got good at packing stuff up in ways that stop it from breaking.

The trick is to run out of pillows and fine china on the same day :P