Keys

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Creative
Super poster

Keys

Post by Creative »

I have a lot of problems using any key exept my house key. I have to unlock the office where I volunteer on Monday so that should be fun!
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Re: Keys

Post by babooshka2002 »

I've never had trouble locking or unlocking doors. I mean, I never get it in the keyhole first time and I notice other people seem to do that, so that is something that is different about me, but I don't consider it to be a problem, it's just me and it doesn't stop me from doing anything the way the other problems I have do.

However, I used to have the most terrible trouble with the actual key. I'd get in the house and lock the door and then put the key somewhere mind-bogglingly stupid, like the fridge, the airing cupboard, the side of my bath or the washing machine (I am not making this up).

I was afraid to leave it in the door because I worried whether someone might be able to reach it through the letter box or something, but I had nowhere else to put it so it invariably ended up in a silly place. These days, I'm firmly in the habit of leaving it in the door. It's safer, and realistically, it's unlikely that anyone would be able to reach it. If my door faced onto the street then worrying about it might be a little more rational, but I'm in a block of flats on the first floor (small block of four council flats). My door only opens into the hallway.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Creative, does it depends on the type of key. Large keys that go into similar large keyholes are less of an issue than small, modern keys that have to fit into a relatively small slit and more care and attention has to be paid to which way up the key is and getting it aligned straight into the keyhole. Unfortunately our house key is the latter type and I'm often all fingers and thumbs trying to get it right. Practice does help though!

Let us know how you get on with the shop!
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I didn't have to unlock the door in the end. Luckily one of the tutors was there. Large keys are more difficult for me. Unfortunately that's the type of keys that the dyslexia organisation has, also mie's not an orginal key, it's a key cut. I can manage the key for the toyroom at the charity shop now which is an achievement.
When I went swimming with my college I could never manage the locker key and I always shared another girls locker.
vervegirl
New member - welcome them!

Post by vervegirl »

These posts are so refreshing to read. They make me feel much less 'alone'!
Cynamon

Post by Cynamon »

I have trouble with keys. I find our front door really hard, as the keyhole is RIGHT next to the frame and I find it hard to get the key in and turn it. I would leave the door unlocked because we live in a block of flats with security doors, but the man that lives opposite us has learning disabilities and his behaviour isn't very good. He's been caught more than once trying to unlock my mums mobility scooter and opening the outside doors then leaving them open. So we don't really want to leave our front door unlocked.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

It's so amazing to read this - I always thought i was wierd! I have to really focus and then follow the with my finger - especially on my car which is a Ford so it has a really thin end bit. That is if I can find my keys that i always seem to have lost lol