Problems with "reading people."

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Problems with "reading people."

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I have a few problems, okay make that a lot of problems, reading people. I can't seem to figure out if they are serious or joking or what the hidden meaning is behind their actions or tone of voice. Facial and bodily guestures are exctremely hard to figure out and I think if I knew more about how they work it would help me immensely. I was wondering if there are any websites or books people have used to help with this problem. I don't think I am the only one who has it on here, or at least I hope not.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
nininutter
Getting settled in

Re: Problems with "reading people."

Post by nininutter »

Hi ya,
Any book on non verbal communication or body language books would be useful to you. there are hundreds at there. look on Amazon etc.

not sure about websites but if you typed body language into google, you would be sure to get loads.

My tip as i have the same problem is to copy and mirror other people's gestures and cues.

hope it helped
janine
ianpenfold
New member - welcome them!

Post by ianpenfold »

I have a kind of opposite problem. ...I seem to amplify my body language, most people can tell exactly how i'm feeling.

On a subconscious level, i also read people very well and i can 'feel' how they feel. Looking at someone and trying to tell someone else that some outward sign mean that they are xyz because of abc doesnt work for me. Feeling how someone else is feeling, most of the time i get it right. I call it 'being an empath'. Maybe it was a skill i learnt as a child because i couldn't consciously understand other peoples body language.
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

Strangely i think :-k im lucky in this sense because ive always been able to tell how everyone else is feeling, but i never allow others to really truly no how im feeling because i dont no how to express my anger, sadness etc.... in an appropriate way, i just tend to be hiding under a big cover pretending that im happy when inside im actually the complete opposite :(
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too