DOES ANY SLEEP A LOT LIKE 14 HOURS

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

smallbutmighty
New member - welcome them!

Re: DOES ANY SLEEP A LOT LIKE 14 HOURS

Post by smallbutmighty »

I've been browsing this site but not actually wanted to post until now - has anyone here been checked for an underactive or overactive thyroid? Your thyroid is a gland in your neck which produces hormones to control your metabolism. It is very common for something to go wrong here - through an autoimmune condition or simply through inheritance the thyroid gland can end up producing too little (hypo/underactive thyroid) or too much (hyper/overactive thyroid). The result is that gradually (over years) your metabolism decreases or increases depending on what you have. It is most common in 50+ women but I believe it is also very common in teenagers/young adults, just not spotted/diagnosed (I am 19 and was diagnosed at 17 after it was missed for many years). There are loads of symptoms, one of which is sleeping too much/falling asleep/waking up fatigued (although bear in mind you might do that anyway)/being generally tired. Although, of course, there can be many other reasons for this e.g. low iron/anemia/other conditions. To get diagnosed you need a blood test; to get treated you need daily medication; hyperactive can be more complex.
Symptoms - http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/pages/c ... rview.html or http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/symptoms_hypot.php (hypo) or http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/hyperthyroidism.php (hyper). You don't need to have all of these symptoms to have it, and they are very general and difficult to spot anyway.

Interesting that no one knows about it http://thyroidlife.blogspot.com/
Wobble
Getting settled in

Post by Wobble »

Up until recently i nicknamed slug because of the amount of sleep i need in order to even function.If i have less then 8 hours i wouldnt be able to concentrate or keep my eyes open!
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I'm with you. Can't function without 8 hours and the more I lye in bed thinking about it the less I can get to sleep. It only takes me a day to break out a pattern I've been all week setting up and I hve to start all over again.
Millie
Getting settled in

Post by Millie »

I can surprisingly function well on not much sleep, as I have experienced. But I do make myself get about 8 hours. I always wake up about same time any day I don't work. And it's never very late. It's usually after about 7 or so hours sleep..but problem is when i let myself fall asleep again I can sleep for ages. Also, although I don't tire easily when I am up and about lying down at all is a problem. I can be out within a minute. So a "lie down" rest is risky for me, cos though I would like to it can turn into a 4 hour snooze. However does anyone else find they dream a lot? This apparently means you are in a very light sleep. I can always remember my dreams. I sometimes wake up feeling I have not really rested cos my mind has been activeI in this way, or extremely relieved or dissappointed when I realised whatever it was, was just a dream!lol.
Amy D

Post by Amy D »

All the time given half a chance!! Once I was due on a course for work, I was due to be there at 10am and I woke up at 6.30pm!! Had some tea then went to sleep again by 10.30pm through til 7am the next day!

On a serious note, it may be an idea to get your thyroid checked, (Your GP can request a blood test for you), as an underactive thyroid can make you sleep more than usual. Otherwise try to have your dinner at least 3 hours before bed, excercise and a hot drink before bed (not caffine), and a read in bed always helps me sleep.

Hope this helps!
lunalovegood
Getting settled in

Post by lunalovegood »

I have to sleep for 10 hours, and even then I am still tired sometimes. In order to make getting up easier, I'll set an alarm for 15 minutes before the time I actually need to get up. That allows me to wake up gently and prevents me from waking up at 7 A.M. and then hitting the snooze button 3 times. LOL.
alice3rd
Getting settled in

Post by alice3rd »

I've been to he doctors many times about this and they send me for a blood test every time, always comes back negative,!
I can easily sleep in until 3pm unless I am woken by someone
I once slept for 9pm until 4.30 pm the next day !!
It does not matter how much I sleep, it is never enough. I am also a really heavy sleeper I Often sleep completely through my very loud alarm!!!
Elizsabeth
Getting settled in

Post by Elizsabeth »

I struggle a lot with fatigue/tiredness, and pretty much find breathing exhausting! ;-) Went allowed I can easily sleep for 10 hours or more, however, this is only when I'm not woken up earlier by noise in the house so stuck with 8 hours!

I'm always looking for ways to help with the tiredness. I have found short periods of taking ginseng helps my day to day functioning, but only in short periods at a time otherwise it interferes with sleep. But for a couple of weeks I'm good with it. Though I suppose we all react differently. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I tend to have a lot of days like this, like some weeks I will be up near enough as soon as my head hits the pillow, and some weeks whereby I can sleep 15 hours straight, and 15 hours awake after it, so really kills my social life, and even had it so bad the one day the only thing that got me out of bed was my cat telling me she was hungry, and that was after her trying to tell me 1/2 a million times.

but I did find out that most of it is to do with my heart, and blood conditions. like the hospital wanting to call me in for an emergancy blood transfusion, and feeling the best ever. and days I feel really bad my blood condition is fine over the 20 odd years of knowing about it, but then passing out for no reason, and being rushed to hospital. and having the heart problems. so it is a catch 22, I should be like yuck suffering with both, but my heart problems has got to be me at my worst especially with the sleeping patterns as find it is safer for me to sleep during really hot days rather than being awake. so makes me more of a night owl, than a day person, but I prefer days.
Clumsy_Not_Careless
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy_Not_Careless »

I definitely do!! I usually need around 10-12 hours of sleep or I get crabby. I sometimes wonder if I am an insomniac when I am on my own, I am very nocturmal and usually stay up at 4am and get out of bed at 2pm... Unless I have to be somewhere I do try to go to bed and get up earlier but if there is nothing to do and nowhere to go to around 4/5am is my standard bedtime.
jimmy87notts
Getting settled in

Post by jimmy87notts »

Ive always found getting a proper sleeping patterns extreamly difficult. Mine right now is not being tired till 4am and not physcially being able to wake up untill between 10 and midday. The worst one was i wasnt getitng tired till 9am and not waking up till 6pm and that took me a good 4 months to break out of. The other problem is i seem to find a good sleeping pattern but i cant maintain it. I also get tired very easily and almost constant yawning
whitedwarf12

Post by whitedwarf12 »

I have found that I really struggle on less that 9 hours sleep too! I can often sleep for most of the day on weekends - 12+ hours.
smallbutmighty wrote:I've been browsing this site but not actually wanted to post until now - has anyone here been checked for an underactive or overactive thyroid?
Yes I have had a blood test in which everything was normal.
katie140

Post by katie140 »

Thank God I found this thread I can sleep for hours I get really criticised for it by my brother and step dad they think I'm just lazy but it's not in my control I am awake one minute then I close my eyes and I'm gone, I miss most of the soaps what I like to watch. I've spoken to my doctor about my sleep problems and have been treat for animia for a long time because my blood's were always slightly off until recently and my doctor just didn't know why I slept so much so increased my anti depressants. My dog can always tell when I'm tired and tries to keep me awake but usually fails
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

I can get by on 8-9 hours plus a lunch time nap but any less than that and I suffer badly. Id also consider myself a morning person, everything is much more manageable when i'm feeling fresher.

I use a supplement called ZMA (zinc, magnesium aspartate) which although doesn't send you to sleep, it does enhance the quality of my sleep and seems to make a good difference.
Xenas-mum

Post by Xenas-mum »

The relief to know its not just me :D

Awake again at 5am but yesterday had to drop youngest off at booster club then got in an hour 10-11am picked her up, dentist for her then docs for oldest then another hour asleep for me. Went out for 90/120 mins got home at 9pm falling asleep in front of tv so went to bed at 9.30 and now here I am awake at stupid o'clock.

I've noticed I can manage 3-5 hrs awake but need to sleep after that.
I'm epileptic but been fine 9yrs this Sept, I saw someone had mentioned narcolepsy
I know I've had one seizure when asleep as i broke my wrist but that was 20yrs ago.

Any thoughts from anyone would be awesome as this is getting worse and I have no clue why.

](*,)