does anyone have a problem of not knowing what others meen

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

agsiul
Power poster

Re: does anyone have a problem of not knowing what others me

Post by agsiul »

This really bothered me for years and then I thought Phuket it! If they really think I would be deliberately rude well it's their problem....it is tricky in work alright but I try to learn from my mistakes and have developed a great selective amnesia for embarassing moments.....eventually learned that there is no point dwelling on it. I've said some terrible things to people but they often get quoted back now as they are quite funny in hindsight....anything that was cringful I just delete from my memory. the same goes for anything stupid I've done in the past. Sometimes it doesnt work but Its a lot better than sweating over something you have no control over because it's in the past. I'll give you one you might like: a firend of mine was getting dressed to go out. She was wearing a nice glittery top. She was swanning around the place trying to find out if it was ok to wear and I said "Don't worry. The nightclub is in the basement. It's dark!" She was actually fishing for a compliment but I didn't understand her subtle behaviour. She was disgusted but my other friends fell around the place laughing! After that I started writing down incidents like to entertain myself.
trees
New member - welcome them!

Post by trees »

agsiul wrote:This really bothered me for years and then I thought Phuket it! If they really think I would be deliberately rude well it's their problem....it is tricky in work alright but I try to learn from my mistakes and have developed a great selective amnesia for embarassing moments.....eventually learned that there is no point dwelling on it. I've said some terrible things to people but they often get quoted back now as they are quite funny in hindsight....anything that was cringful I just delete from my memory. the same goes for anything stupid I've done in the past. Sometimes it doesnt work but Its a lot better than sweating over something you have no control over because it's in the past. I'll give you one you might like: a firend of mine was getting dressed to go out. She was wearing a nice glittery top. She was swanning around the place trying to find out if it was ok to wear and I said "Don't worry. The nightclub is in the basement. It's dark!" She was actually fishing for a compliment but I didn't understand her subtle behaviour. She was disgusted but my other friends fell around the place laughing! After that I started writing down incidents like to entertain myself.
Sorry to be necromancing an old thread but I don't get what upset her so much? Sure, the club is dark might not have been relevant but why did that make her angry?
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

She wasn't exactly angry....she was really put out that I didn't undersatnad that she was fishing for a compliment. The other flatmate rolled around the floor when I did it.
trees
New member - welcome them!

Post by trees »

agsiul wrote:She wasn't exactly angry....she was really put out that I didn't undersatnad that she was fishing for a compliment. The other flatmate rolled around the floor when I did it.
Oh, that's just silly. Thanks for helping though. Normally I'm not too bad with this sort of thing but occasionally I get totally confused.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I'd be like you. I'd be better at body language than the verbal stuff so that's where I generally get it wrong.