Exercising

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Philippa321
New member - welcome them!

Exercising

Post by Philippa321 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:59 am

Hello everyone!

I'm a support worker for a woman (21 years old) who has dyspraxia has asked me to help her with an exercise plan as she would like to loose some weight, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with what someone with dyspraxia could do on an exercise plan? I understand everyone has different abilities, so I just need some ideas I can discuss with her to try and get the support plan right for her.

Thank you!

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Exercising

Post by Tom fod » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Philippa

There are various challenges with dyspraxia and I would suggest you would need to consider the following in regard formulation of the plan:
some people have joint issues and tendency to stumble or trip over thin air might make us especially wary of activities like jogging
social anxiety is also common so that might impact on willingness to engage in fitness classes, that said meeting mew people and overcoming our fear is good too
Yoga or Tai Chi might be an idea but would need a good tutor who is patient and explains clearly ditto if you were to go down personal trainer route
Motivating us to stick to the plan (results won't be quick and we are often prone to disheartenment
Fatigue can also be an issue
Balancing exercise with dietary change - we might struggle with cooking so might opt for easy options like ready meals too readily
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

michael
Getting settled in

Re: Exercising

Post by michael » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 am

I've got to get on an exercise plan myself. It's been very hard here because it's been so hot in the states this summer--don't know what it's like in the UK--but it's hot here and I have a sensory processing disorder so I don't deal well with the excessive heat. I seem to be caught up in one of those indecision loops about this.